Decisions on Designation of Properties as National Monuments

Provisional List

About the Provisional List

List of Petitions for Designation of Properties as National Monuments

Heritage at Risk

60th session - Decisions

Kršlak house (Kapetanović house, Kršlak house no. 2), the historic building

gallery back

Status of monument -> National monument

             Pursuant to Article V para. 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Article 39 para. 1 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, at a session held from 2 to 8 March 2004 the Commission adopted a






            The historic building of the Kršlak house (Kapetanović house, Kršlak house no. 2) in Jajce is hereby designated as a National Monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the National Monument).

            The National Monument is located on cadastral plot no. 1203,  cadastral municipality Jajce I, Jajce Municipality, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

            The provisions relating to protection and rehabilitation measures set forth by the Law on the Implementation of the Decisions of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of the Federation of  BiH nos. 2/02, 27/02 and 6/04) shall apply to the National Monument.




            The Government of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the Government of the Federation) shall be responsible for ensuring and providing the legal, scientific, technical, administrative and financial measures necessary to protect, conserve, display and rehabilitate the National Monument.

            The Government of the Federation shall be responsible for providing the resources needed to draw up and implement the necessary technical documentation for the rehabilitation of the National Monument.

            The Commission to Preserve National Monuments (hereinafter: the Commission) shall determine the technical requirements and secure the funds for preparing and setting up signboards with the basic data on the monument and the Decision to proclaim the property a National Monument.




            To ensure the on-going protection of the National Monument, the following measures are hereby stipulated, relating to c.p. 1232, c.m. Jajce, being the site where the National Monument is located:

Ÿ          the Old Kršlak House shall be rehabilitated on its original site, in its original form, with identical horizontal and vertical dimensions, with the use of the original or the same type of material and the original building methods, on the basis of documentation on its former appearance (architectural technical survey dating from 1956) which constitutes an integral part of this Decision, with the approval of the Federal Ministry responsible for regional planning (hereinafter: the Ministry) and under the expert supervision of the heritage protection authority of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the heritage protection authority),

Ÿ          on the plots adjoining the plot where the National Monument is located, the only construction permitted is of buildings with a maximum height of two storeys, i.e. 3.50 m [sic] to the base of the roof frame, and with maximum dimensions of 10 x 10 m, with steeply pitched hipped roofs clad with sheet metal or wooden shingles.


            The Government of the Federation shall be responsible in particular for:

Ÿ          drawing up a programme of preventive protection and a project for conservation and restoration works, to include all the works to be carried out on the National Monument (analysis of damage to the structure, recording alterations to the layout of the building and to its structure, interior, treatment of the facades, etc.), which shall be carried out in line with a project approved by the Ministry and under the supervision of the heritage protection authority.




            All executive and area development planning acts not in accordance with the provisions of this Decision are hereby revoked.




            Everyone, and in particular the competent authorities of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Canton, and urban and municipal authorities, shall refrain from any action that might damage the National Monument or jeopardize the preservation and rehabilitation thereof.




            The Government of the Federation, the Federal Ministry responsible for regional planning, the Federation heritage protection authority, and the Municipal Authorities in charge of urban planning and land registry affairs, shall be notified of this Decision in order to carry out the measures stipulated in Articles II to V of this Decision, and the Authorized Municipal Court shall be notified for the purposes of registration in the Land Register.




            The elucidation and accompanying documentation form an integral part of this Decision, which may be viewed by interested parties on the premises or by accessing the website of the Commission (http://www.aneks8komisija.com.ba) 




            Pursuant to Art. V para 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, decisions of the Commission are final.




            This Decision shall enter into force on the date of its adoption and shall be published in the Official Gazette of BiH.


            This Decision has been adopted by the following members of the Commission: Zeynep Ahunbay, Amra Hadžimuhamedović, Dubravko Lovrenović,  Ljiljana Ševo and Tina Wik.


                                                                                                Chair of the Commission

Ljiljana Ševo


Decision no: 07.2-2-91/04-1

3 March 2004




E l u c i d a t i o n



            Pursuant to Article 2, paragraph 1 of the Law on the Implementation of the Decisions of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a “National Monument” is an item of public property proclaimed by the Commission to Preserve National Monuments to be a National Monument pursuant to Articles V and VI of Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina  and property entered on the Provisional List of National Monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of  BiH no. 33/02) until the Commission reaches a final decision on its status, as to which there is no time limit and regardless of whether a petition for the property in question has been submitted or not.

            On 21 February 2003 Jajce Municipality submitted a petition/proposal to designate the Kršlak house (Kršlak house no. 2) or Kapetanović house as a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

            Pursuant to the provisions of the law, the Commission proceeded to carry out the procedure for reaching a final decision to designate the Property as a National Monument, pursuant to Article V of Annex 8 and Article 35 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments.



            In the procedure preceding the adoption of a final decision to proclaim the property a national monument, the following documentation was inspected:

Ÿ          Documentation on the location and current owner and user of the property (copy of cadastral plan and copy of land registry entry)

Ÿ          Data on the current condition and use of the property, including a description and photographs, data of war damage, data on restoration or other works on the property, etc.

Ÿ          Historical, architectural and other documentary material on the property, as set out in the bibliography forming part of this Decision.


            The findings based on the review of the above documentation and the condition of the site are as follows:


1.  Details of the property


            The house is located in the north-western part of the town of Jajce, in the residential area below the Jajce citadel, on the road leading from the Dizdar's mosque, Clock Tower and Dizdar's house towards the čaršija and the Esme Sultan mosque.  The house is owned by Kapetanović Muhamed. It occupies c.p. no. 1203, Land Register entry no. 1661, c.m. Jajce I, Federation of  Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzergovina.

Historical information

            There are no precise details on when the building was erected, although from the masonry, the type and quality of binders and other building materials, and the treatment of the various structural elements, it could date from the late 18th century.  The appearance of the basement as regards the dimensions of the exterior walls suggest that it was erected on the foundations of a fortified building.  This house is one of two examples of traditional Jajce houses to survive the ravages of the 1992-1995 war (the other is directly opposite the Okić mosque).


2. Description of the property

            Old photographs of Jajce dating from the Austro-Hungarian period show that on the slopes surrounding the Travnik gatehouse, the Jajce citadel, the Catacombs, and the Banja Luka gatehouse there were a large number of houses with steep wooden roofs which fitted in harmoniously with the architecture of the old fort.  They were all typical examples of the residential architecture of Jajce, of considerable townscape value.

            The house known in Jajce as the Kršlak house no. 2 or Kapetanović house had a ground plan of the very simple form typical of urban residential architecture in Jajce.  This architecture is given particular emphasis by its high hipped roof, originally with wooden shingle cladding.  In later years, the owners of such houses often replaced this wooden shingle cladding with galvanized iron fixed to the original roof structure.

            Like other houses of this type, this one was built of less durable materials(1),  although the basement and ground floor were constructed of durable material, in this case quarry stone with lime mortar binder.  The walls of the basement are 90 cm thick on the south-west of the building and 1.30 m thick on the south-east, facing the town.


            The entrance to the basement is to the north-east of the building.  A corridor 1.10 m wide runs along the south-east wall, taking a sudden right-angled turn after about 2 m to lead to the north-west, where the only room in this part of the house is located, with three windows resembling loopholes and one rectangular niche.  The room measures 5,65 x 4,20 m.  This room has a stone barrel vault ceiling.

Ground floor

            The ground floor consists of the kitchen, one room, a central corridor and two outhouses probably used to house small livestock. There is a deep, pillared porch on the north-east side.

            The kitchen is in the south-east/south-west part of the building, and measures 4.90 x 4.32 m.  The kitchen equipment – stove and fitted furniture – stood along the north-west wall.  The kitchen had two windows facing south-east measuring 1.05 x 1.08 m, and one facing south-west measuring 0.97 x 1.08 m.  Despite the considerable span of the ground floor, the load of the upper floor was taken by two very thick beams, one running lengthwise and the other crosswide, part resting on the load-bearing walls of the building and part on two timber 20 x 20 cm pillars.

            Room 1 measures 4,00 x 5,51 m.   It has three windows measuring 0.90 x 1.09 m, facing south-east.  To the north-east, which is of half-timbered construction, there are another two windows measuring 0.72 x 1.00 m.  There is also a staircase leading from the ground floor to the first floor.

First floor

            The first floor of the house was 12.50 m long and 11.00 m. wide. This floor had a total of six rooms and a spacious hajat  corridor 7,36 m long and 6,09 m wide.  To the north-east the first floor projected forward over the ground floor in the shape of an oriel window with exposed beams.  The first floor construction rested in part on that of the ground floor and in part on a wooden 20 x 20 cm oak beam supported via decorative wooden corbels by two 20 x 20 cm wooden pillars of square cross-section.  The pillars of the portico were 2.86 m high and rested on stone bases.

            Area 1 – storeroom/larder is on the north-west side of the building.  The only walls to be built of quarry stone are the walls of this storeroom and the north-west and a small part of the south-west wall of the hajat.  The partition walls between the various rooms are of timber plastered with lime plaster.  This room measures 2,57 x 2,59 m, and to the north-east has a window resembling a loophole.  To the south-west is a semi-domed window.  The stone wall is 60 cm thick.

            The other rooms on the first floor face the town and garden to the north-east of the building.  Their main feature is the large number of windows.

            Room no. 1 measures 4,60 x 3,66 m.  It has four windows in all, three facing south-east and one south-west. The windows are 64 cm wide and 86 cm high.  The parapet is 53 cm high, and the room is 1.89 high overall.  The floorboards are 42 mm thick.  The ceiling is also wooden.There is a small bathroom alongside the north wall of this room.

            Room no. 2 measures 4,45 x 2,80 m.  The entrance to this room is from the hajat and from room no. 1.  It has two windows to the south-east, measuring 63 x 86 cm.

            Room no. 3 is on the eastern corner of the building.  It is hexagonal in ground plan and measures 4,58 x 4,00 m.  It has a total of six windows measuring 63 x 86 cm.  Here too the floorboards are 42 mm thick and the ceiling is wooden.

            Room no. 4 is the smallest on the first floor, measuring 3,00 x 3,13 m.  It has two windows, 74 cm wide, facing north-east onto the garden.

            Room no. 5 is heptagonal in ground plan and similar in size to room no. 3, measuring 4.00 x 4.47 m.  It has four windows in all, facing north-east.

As a result of the steep terrain, the house had a very high stone wall, as much as 12 m, while the first floor is no more than 3.00 m in height.

            The house had a steep-pitched hipped roof, more than 60 deg., and was clad with wooden shingles.  Some of the roof timbers are more than 10 m long, which is one of the valuable features of this building.  The house had no chimney, but was of the type known as dimolučara, where all the smoke was led away through smoke ducts into the roof space.  This had a dual effect – part  of the roof area was used as a meat-drying room, and in addition the smoke carbonized the roof timbers on the interior, providing additional protection against the effects of damp and fungi. After World War II, when this way of dealing with smoke was abandoned, and high levels of air pollution led to the rapid deterioration of the roof cladding, the owner of the building laid galvanized iron over the roof timbers, which is still the condition of the building today.

            There was a well in the courtyard in front of the house which had been filled in but which the local inhabitants said was 26 m deep, cut into the living rock – this was the only well in the lower part of the Jajce fortress.


3. Legal status to date

            The Regional Plan of the  Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina to 2002 listed the Kršlak family house no. 2 as part of the urban ensemble of Jajce which is valued as a Category 0 group, of international importance.


4. Research and conservation and restoration works

            In the 1960s, repairs were conducted on the building, together with essential conservation and restoration works, mainly consisting of whitewashing the exterior walls and replacing rotten sections of the roof timbers.


5. Current condition of the building

            The building was not destroyed during the 1992-1995 war, but lack of maintenance has caused considerable damage, mainly visible on the roof cladding and facades.  The major problem is the effects of the elements, which first damaged the roof cladding and then penetrated into the interior.  The roof is most seriously damaged to the south-west, where an area of 16-20 sq.m. has lost its cladding.  Damage to the facade is most visible to the noroth-east, where the areas of the lime plaster that have been exposed to damp and the cold north wind have fallen away.  To the south-west this is less pronounced, with about 10 sq.m. of the facade at risk. The building is not used for residential purposes; neighbours say the owner is using it to house livestock.



            Applying the Criteria for the adoption of a decision on proclaiming an item of property a national monument (Official Gazette of BiH nos. 33/02 and 15/03), the Commission has enacted the Decision cited above.

            The Decision was based on the following criteria:

A.  Time frame

B.  Historical value

C.  Artistic and aesthetic value

C. v. value of details

F. Townscape/landscape value

F.ii. meaning in the townscape

F.iii.  the building or group of buildings is part of a group or site


            The following documents form an integral part of this Decision:

-         Copy of cadastral plan

-         Copy of land register entry and proof of title;

-         Photodocumentation;

-         Site plan



            During the procedure to designate the Kršlak House no. 2 as a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina the following works were consulted:


1916.  L. Thalloczy, Povijest Jajca (History of Jajce) Zagreb, 1916.


1951. Kreševljaković, Hamdija, Prilozi povijesti bosanskih gradova pod turskom upravom.(Contributions to the history of Bosnian towns under Turkish rule) Supplements for oriental philology and the history of the Yugoslav peoples under Turkish rule II/1951, Sarajevo, 1952, 119-184.


1952. Mazalić, Đoko, Stari grad Jajce.(Old town of Jajce) Jnl of the National Museum in Sarajevo, n.s. vol VII, Sarajevo, 1952, 59-100.


1953. Kreševljaković, Hamdija, Stari bosanski gradovi.(Old Bosnian towns) Naše starine I, Sarajevo, 1953, 7-47.


1963. Anđelić, Pavao, Srednjovjekovna žitna jama u Jajcu. (Mediaeval grain pits in Jajce) Collected papers of the Krajina Museum II, Banja Luka, 1963/1964, 38-40.


1963a. Anđelić, Pavao, Jedna etapa izgradnje Jajca. (A stage in the building of Jajce) Collected papers of the Krajina Museum II, Banja Luka, 1963./1964., 50-52.


1967. Basler, Đuro, Sjeverni dio gradskih utvrda u Jajcu.(Northern part of the town fortifications in Jajce) Naše starine XI, Institute for the Protection of Monuments of S.R. BiH, Sarajevo, 1967, 51-58.


1970. Jadrić, Radivoj , Revitalizacija istorijskog jezgra Jajca (Revitalization of the historic centre of Jajce), Sarajevo, 1970.


1978. Kojić-Kovačević, Desanka, Gradska naselja srednjovjekovne bosanske države. (Urban settlements of the mediaeval  Bosnian state) Sarajevo, 1978.


1982. Šabanović, Hazim, Bosanski pašaluk. (The Bosnian pashaluk) Svjetlost, Sarajevo, 1982.


1989. Eminefendić, Hazim, Jajce 1878 – 1941. Sarajevo, 1989.


1995. Popović, Marko, Srednjovekovne tvrđave u Bosni i Hercegovini (Mediaeval fortresses in BiH). in: Collected papers for the history of BiH I. Serbian Academy of Science and the Arts, Belgrade, 1995, 33-55.


1998. Mujezinović, Mehmed, Islamska epigrafika u BiH (Islamic epigraphics in BiH), vol II,  Sarajevo publishing, 1998.


Documentation of the Archives of BiH,

Documentation from archives of Jajce Municipality

Documentation from the Institute for the Protection of Monuments in Jajce of the Federal Ministry of Culture and Sport

(1) The first floor of the house was half-timbered, with a framework of oak uprights, struts and beams and an infill of unbaked brick and tufa.

Old Kršlak house (Kapetanović house, Kršlak house no. 2) in JajceKapetanović houseKapetanović house, north facadeWest facade

BiH jezici 
Commision to preserve national monuments © 2003. Design & Dev.: