Decisions on Designation of Properties as National Monuments

Provisional List

About the Provisional List

List of Petitions for Designation of Properties as National Monuments

Heritage at Risk

60th session - Decisions

Remains of the Old Stone Bridge in Konjic, the historic structure

gallery back

Status of monument -> National monument

             Pursuant to Article V para. 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Article 39 para. 1 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, at a session held from 1 to 7 July 2003 the Commission adopted a






            The historic structure of the Old Stone Bridge in Konjic is hereby designated as a National Monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the National Monument).

            The National Monument is located on cadastral plots 1624/1 and 2116/1, cadastral municipality Konjic and Konjic II, Municipality Konjic, Federation of BiH, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

            The provisions relating to protection and rehabilitation measures set forth by the Law on the Implementation of the Decisions of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of the Federation of  BiH nos. 2/02 and 27/02) shall apply to the National Monument.




            The Government of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the Government of the Federation) shall be responsible for ensuring and providing the legal, scientific, technical, administrative and financial measures necessary to protect, conserve, display and rehabilitate the National Monument.

            The Government of the Federation shall be responsible for providing the resources for drawing up and implementing the necessary technical documentation for the rehabilitation of the National Monument.

            The Commission to Preserve National Monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the Commission) shall determine the technical requirements and secure the funds for preparing and setting up signboards with the basic data on the monument and the Decision to proclaim the property a National Monument.




            The following measures in particular shall be implemented:

            Protection Zone I comprises the bridge.  The following measures shall apply within this zone:

§         All new construction is prohibited within this zone, but the bridge may be repaired, restored and rehabilitated with the approval of the Federal Ministry responsible for regional planning (hereinafter: the regional planning ministry) and under the expert supervision of the heritage protection authority of FBiH,

§         As part of the project of rehabilitation of the bridge, the methods of conservation, restoration, structural repair and consolidation of the bridge piers shall be used, with the possible reconstruction of missing parts of the bridge, based on documentation on their original form constituting an integral part of this Decision:

o        conduct a scientific survey of the bridge to determine the extent of damage and draw up a comprehensive programme of repair for the structure.  The survey shall include a survey of the river bed where the bridge stands and of the present condition of the piers (the parts of the structure of the piers both above and below river level)

o        based on the findings of the above survey, draw up a design project to reconstruct the bridge so as to restore it to its original condition as far as possible;

o        the design project for the reconstruction of the bridge must ensure that original building materials, traditional binders and the same techniques are used wherever possible.  The project must incorporate detailed instructions for the treatment of the stone; a design for the scaffolding to build the arches; a project for the technology of building the bridge (particularly the arches); the choice of quarry and directions for quarrying and dressing the stone and for the necessary prior laboratory tests on the stone;

o        all applied methods and degrees of intervention must be clearly visible;

§         new construction, demolitions, repairs, extensions or other building works are prohibited, other than works for the rehabilitation, conservation and display of buildings, to a design project approved by the regional planning ministry and under the expert supervision of the heritage protection authority;

o        when rehabilitating buildings, their original appearance must be preserved or restored (horizontal and vertical dimensions, number, size and arrangement of windows and doors, architectural details and colours, shape and pitch of roofs – pitched roofs with wooden rafters and a maximum pitch of 30 deg.  Use original materials (stone and whitewashed plastered walls of baked masonry bricks, stone slabs or light grey tiles as roof cladding) and the use of original methods of treatment of materials and binders and building methods wherever possible.  All methods and degrees of intervention used must be plain to see;

§         draw up a project to landscape the approaches to the bridge and its immediate surroundings on the banks of the river Neretva;

§         motor traffic is prohibited from using the bridge;

§         works of any kind to the infrastructure are prohibited unless with the approval and under the expert supervision of the heritage protection authority of the Federation of BiH,

§         the dumping of all kinds of waste is prohibited.




            All executive and area development planning acts not in accordance with the provisions of this Decision are to be revoked.




            Everyone, and in particular the competent authorities of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Canton, and urban and municipal authorities, shall refrain from any action that might damage the National Monument or jeopardize the preservation and rehabilitation thereof.




            The Government of the Federation, the regional planning ministry, the heritage protection authority, and the Municipal Authorities in charge of urban planning and land registry affairs, shall be notified of this Decision in order to carry out the measures stipulated in Articles II to IV of this Decision, and the Authorized Municipal Court shall be notified for the purposes of registration in the Land Register.




            The elucidation and accompanying documentation form an integral part of this Decision, which may be viewed by interested parties on the premises or by accessing the website of the Commission (http://www.aneks8komisija.com.ba) 




            Pursuant to Art. V para 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, decisions of the Commission are final.




            This Decision shall enter into force on the date of its adoption and shall be published in the Official Gazette of BiH.


            This Decision has been adopted by the following members of the Commission: Zeynep Ahunbay, Amra Hadžimuhamedović, Dubravko Lovrenović,  Ljiljana Ševo and Tina Wik.


Chairman of the Commission 

Amra Hadžimuhamedović

No: 08.1-6-5/03-4                                                          

2 July 2003.



E l u c i d a t i o n





            Pursuant to Article 2, paragraph 1 of the Law on the Implementation of the Decisions of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a “National Monument” is an item of public property proclaimed by the Commission to Preserve National Monuments to be a National Monument pursuant to Articles V and VI of Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina and property entered on the Provisional List of National Monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of  BiH no. 33/02) until the Commission reaches a final decision on its status, as to which there is no time limit and regardless of whether a petition for the property in question has been submitted or not.

            The Commission received a petition from Konjic Municipality on 8 January 2003.

            Pursuant to the provisions of the law, the Commission proceeded to carry out the procedure for reaching a final decision to designate the Property as a National Monument, pursuant to Article V of Annex 8 and Article 35 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments.





            In the procedure preceding the adoption of a final decision to proclaim the property a national monument, the following documentation was inspected:

§         Data on the current condition and use of the property, including a description and photographs, data of war damage, data on restoration or other works on the property, etc.

§         Documentation on the location and current owner and user of the property

§         Historical, architectural and other documentary material on the property, as set out in the bibliography forming part of this Decision.


            The findings based on the review of the above documentation and the condition of the site are as follows:


1. Details of the property


            The bridge spans the river Neretva and stands in the Konjic čaršijia, Konjic municipality, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Historical information

            The Konjic area has been inhabited since neolithic times.  There is a reference to it dating from the 4th century BCE.  The remains of a Mithraic temple have been found close to the town, below Repovica hill opposite the railway station.  In Roman times there was a major crossroads here.  The remains of settlements dating from Roman times have been found on both banks of the Neretva on the site of present-day Konjic (Mujezinović, 1998, p. 422; Mulić, 2003, p. 24).

            In the 15th century the caravan waystations on the road leading from Dubrovnik to central Bosnia via the Neretva valley suddenly gained in importance as a result of the economic rise of Visoko and the increased exploitation of the central Bosnian mining basin.  One of these waystations in particular developed in Konjic, in which a customs house had been established back in the reign of King Tvrtko (1353-1394).  The customs house remained in existence in Konjic throughout the entire first half of the 15th century.  The considerable volume of trade led to the erection in Konjic of a royal hostelry where travellers could rest and lay out their goods.  Such public hostelries were maintained by the «Patarins» and the Bosnian kings.  There was a royal court in Konjic as early as 1356 (Anđelić, 1975, pp. 128 and 312).

            The first written record of Konjic, referring to a settlement without specifying its extent, is that of Mavro Orbini, dating from 1366-1369, in connection with the dynastic contests in Hum country and Neretva county.  The first official data on Konjic as a settlement on the right bank of the Neretva is dated 16 June 1382, and is found in an agreement between people from Dubrovnik and Vlachs to use their caravans to transport lead from Podvisoko and Konjic to Dubrovnik.

            Sultan Mehmed el Fatih’s campaign, lasting from early May to mid June 1463, led to his conquering Konjic and its entire surroundings (Anđelić, 1975, pp. 129 and 313).  In their first census, conducted in 1468/69, the Ottomans referred to Biograd and Konjic as markets, which indicates the level of development they had reached by the middle of that century (Kovačević-Kojić, 1978, pp. 71 and 112).

            During Ottoman times, Konjic was a communications hub and waystation on the road from Istanbul along the Neretva valley to the sea, which led to the construction of the bridge over the Neretva.  Between 1550 and 1574 Konjic market acquired the status of a kasaba or town, with a new name – Neretva – but the name Konjic remained in use until the beginning of the 18th century.  In 1574 Konjic had three mahalas (residential quarters), one of which was a Muslim quarter (the mahala of Ahmed Tabandža’s mosque or Tabanica) and two were non-Muslim (the former village of Trešanica and Gornja Konjica or upper Konjic mahala).  Between 1537 and 1586, the Ottomans began to erect a new settlement on the left bank of the Neretva, which they accorded the status of kasaba and the name of Belgraddžik.  In 1585 the kasaba had three Muslim mahalas and one non-Muslim.  In the late 16th and early 17th century the kasaba acquired a fourth Muslim mahala (Mulić, 2003, p. 27).  In 1633 there is reference to an independent kadiluk of Belgraddžik (Mali Biograd), with its headquarters in Konjic, which also began from then on to be known as Belgraddžik (Mujezinović, 1998, p. 422).  Evliya Çelebi says that Konjic had six mahalas (on both banks of the Neretva), eight mosques (mihrabs), two madrassas, two Sufi tekkes (hanikah/haniqah), three maktabs, a small bathhouse and two hostelries (hans/khans), one of which was in the čaršija or commercial centre.  Çelebi also notes that the opposite bank of the river was reached via a substantial wooden bridge (Çelebi, 1996, p. 477).  In 1833 two nahiyes obtained the status of county, with the names Neretva and Konjice (Konjiće).   With the formation of the Bosnian vilayet in 1865, the two were merged into one with the name Sa Neretvom Konjice (Mea Neretva Konjiće), reduced just to Konjiće with effect from 1867.  The two kasabas were also merged into one at that time, with the same name of Konjiće, remaining such until the arrival of the  Austro-Hungarians in 1878.  The Austro-Hungarian authorities immediately redesignated Konjiće county as a district with the name Konjica, and the kasaba of Konjiće as a town with the name Konjica (Mulić, 2003, p. 26).

            During the Ottoman period, three bridges were built in Konjic: two wooden bridges (one in Konjic itself and one in Glavatičevo) and one stone bridge in Konjic.

            The first bridge over the Neretva in Konjic was built by the Mostar legator Hajji Mehmed-beg Karađoz prior to 1570. The vakufnama or deed of endowment of Zaim hajji Mehmed beg Karađoz-beg, dating from 1570, refers to several of his endowments including the bridge in Konjic.  This is the first specific archive data on the Konjic bridge.  The Karađoz-beg bridge in Konjic was a wooden structure that stood 15-20 m. downstream from the stone bridge built at a later date.  Details of the construction of a new wooden bridge are given in the vakufnama of Hajji Bali from the first decade of Rabi-ul awwal, 1021 AH (between 2 and 11 May 1612 CE) (Mulić, 2003, p. 320. This bridge was demolished in 1071 AH (1659-1660), as recorded on an inscription in the Sulejman pasha mosque by the old bridge in konjic, which says that the bridge was pulled down in 1071 AH (1660) at the beginning of Rabi-ul awwal (November).  In late June 1665 the bridge was repaired and once again in use, as is clear from Evliya Çelebi’s travelogue.  This repaired bridge remained in use for 17 years; in 1682 a new stone bridge was built a little upstream from the wooden one, as recorded in the inscription on the construction of the bridge. (Čelić, Mujezinović, 1969, p. 179)

            «The stone bridge in Konjic was built in 1093 AH (1682/83 CE).  We know this from the tarih (chronogram) incised on a plaque at the centre of the bridge above the upper korkaluk (parapet of the bridge).  The plaque disappeared in 1944 when the Germans bombed Konjic and part of the bridge was destroyed.» (Hasandedić, 1976, p. 117).

            The bridge was a masterpiece of seventeenth-century architecture and one of the finest monuments of its kind in Bosnia and Herzegovina. (Hasandedić, 1976, p. 117).

            There are several traditions concerning the founder of the bridge.  Alija Bejtić found one source, and in 1979 Hivzija Hasandedić found another written source about the construction of the bridge.  From a ferman (imperial decree) of Sultan Mehmed IV of 2 to 12 May 1685, sent to the mutesserif of the Herzegovina sandžak, Husein, the builder of the Konjic stone bridge is identified as Haseći Ali-aga.  This ferman was found by Hivzija Hasandedić in the Oriental Collection of the Provincialate of the Franciscans of Herzegovina (Institute for the Protection of the Cultural, Historical and Natural Heritage of Mostar, 2003).

             «In 1682 the last of the great stylistically and technically accomplished bridges of Herzegovina, the Old Stone Bridge in Konjic, was completed.  The previous Karađoz-beg bridge was wooden, and had deteriorated and collapsed with time, so that in that year a new stone bridge was built a little way upstream from the wooden bridge.  To this day it has not been ascertained who built the stone bridge: legend refers to Ali-aga Hasečić, a high-ranking dignitary in Istanbul, whose horse had fallen on the dilapidated bridge; some authors, without citing their sources, ascribe the bridge to the Vizier Ahmet-paša Sokolović.» (Čelić, 1976, p. 92).

            The first account of the stone bridge in Konjic was that of Giacomo Luccari, dating from 1790 (Mulić, 2003, p. 35) and the second was that of  the English architect and travel writer Sir Arthur John Evans (of Minoan fame) in 1875, on the occasion of his journey through Konjic: «The river known as the Neretva is spanned by a long, handsome stone bridge, the finest of those seen so far. . . linking a number of houses on the Bosnian bank with Konjic on the other side» (Arthur J. Evans, Through Bosnia and the Herzegovina on Foot during the Insurrection, August and September,1875, London, 1877 (second ed. 1978)  (Čelić, Mujezinović, 1969, p. 178)

            On 3 March 1945, during their retreat, in order to ensure that the German troops could escape from the surrounding Partisans, half the stone bridge was destroyed during the bombing of the pioneer unit of the 3rd battalion of the Wermacht's 370th grenadier regiment, and only the piers remained. Since the stone bridge was the only crossing over the Neretva in Konjic, a temporary wooden structure was laid over the damaged bridge in 1945.  In 1946 a new concrete bridge was built in Konjic somewhat lower than the stone bridge, which is now used as the main bridge for both road and pedestrian traffic.

            In 1962 the wooden structure over the remains of the stone bridge was replaced by reinforced concrete (Institute for the Protection of the Cultural, Historical and Natural Heritage of Mostar, 2003).

            «In late 1976 and during 1977, at the initiative of the regional Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments in Mostar, steps were taken to reconstruct the old bridge in Konjic. . . Based on existing technical and historical data, a detailed survey of the remains of the bridge, and in particular technical details from the legacy of Prof. Milivoj Frković, a study or design concept for its reconstruction was drawn up. . . At a review of the design concept for the reconstruction (in Konjic, in 1977), all its postulates and solutions were adopted and consent was given to draw up a main design project.  However, since there were insufficient funds available, further work on this major project was suspended.» (Gojković, 1989, pp. 10-11)

            The bridge is currently used for road traffic (one-way traffic with weight restrictions) and by pedestrians (two walkways).

            In 2002, Konjic marked two significant anniversaries: 620 years from the first reference to the settlement of Konjic by that name, and 320 years from the date of construction of the Konjic Stone Bridge.  Since the Stone Bridge is of particular importance for the rehabilitation of the structure and appearance of the historic heart of Konjic, the wish to reconstruct it is a constant in Konjic, and plans are in hand to revive the old Konjic čaršija by rebuilding the old shops that formerly stood alongside the bridge in a row on the left bank of the Neretva.


Legal status to date

            No details are known of any protected status for the structure to date.


2.Description of the monument

            «At the time it was destroyed, the Konjic bridge was the best preserved old bridge in Herzegovina, and also one of the most beautiful. . . conceived with a rhythmical series of arches. . .» (Čelić, 1976, p. 93)

            The stone bridge was an example of Ottoman architecture of the classical period of the sixteenth century, set on six shallow pointed stone arches with a span ranging from 6.72 to 13.56 m.  The height of the rise of the arch over the water level of the river in summer ranges from 4.30 to 8.70 m.  The arches arest on five stone piers and two ramps, one on either shore.  The piers, which are still visible, are 3 m. wide (with insignificant variations), and 5.25 m. from side to side of the bridge in the direction of the current. On the upstream side the piers terminate in prominent triangular breakwaters, and on the downstream side in polygonal buttresses ending in pyramidal shape and terminating on the spandrel walls on both upstream and downstream sides.  The arches of the bridge began at approximately half the height of the vertical part of the piers, on a gently slanting cornice, and followed the line of a pointed arch increasing symmetrically from aperture to aperture from either bank towards the centre of the bridge. The end arches, which were the smallest in span and height, rested on ramps on either bank.

            The facades of the bridge were formed by the spandrel walls with a slight projection over the arches, emphasizing the lines of the arches.  The span of the bridge from the shore to the centre was equal on either side, creating a characteristic break in the alignment over the central pier.  This increasing span and height towards the centre was the rule in the Ottoman bridge architecture of that time, and was the result of the need to protect the structure from so-called «disaster waters».

            The line of the walkway over the bridge was reflected on the facades by a projecting moulded cornice over which rose the korkaluk or parapet of vertically reinforced stone slabs.  The central pier on the upstream side was decorated with a two-step projection above that part of the frontal wall, creating a shallow balcony framed by the cornice and parapet, with a characteristic blind portal bearing the inscription recording the building of the bridge.  The combined width of the apertures was 64.80 m. and the combined width of all the piers was 15.98 m, making a total of 80.78 m.

            The Konjic bridge was built of precisely cut stone blocks.  Those of the lower part, approximately to high water level, were finely dressed white limestone, and of the upper of finely dressed tuff.  Within the tuff arches, the keystones were white limestone (Čelić, Mujezinović, 196., p. 181).

            In the selection and use of building techniques, this bridge is similar to bridges in Sarajevo, which also had limestone lower parts and tuff upper parts.  In the form of the piers, their placing, and the transition from the piers to the arches, however, the Konjic bridge most closely resembles the Mehmed Pasha Sokolović bridge in Višegrad, which it also resembles in the position of the portal, though here it is of rather simpler treatment.  Particular attention should be drawn to the way the piers terminate in pyramidal form on the spandrel walls:  in the case of the Višegrad bridge, sculpturally carved stylized fleur de lis feature in this position, while one author notes of the Konjic bridge that they “resemble axes or spears.”  In the case of the Višegrad bridge, two blind openings feature on each of the spandrel walls above the piers, while in case of the Konjic bridge, there are two blind openings on the central pier above the portal.

            According to an early work on the Konjic bridge, the road over the bridge was about 5m. wide, and the stone slab parapet was about 1m. high and about 0.25 m. thick.  The right hand wings of the bridge were 15.70m. wide and the left hand about 6m. The total length of the bridge was 102 m, and the total height from water level to the highest point of the bridge (not counting the portal) was about 10 m.

            An old photograph dating from the end of the 19th century shows that the bridge had a guardhouse over the central pier; no information is available on the date this guardhouse was erected or when it was removed.

            The Konjic bridge was the finest example of this type of structure dating from the second half of the 17th century, which saw a stylistic and architectural decline from the building skills of the 16th century, with local craftsmen representing the decadent stage of the 18th and 19th century (Čelić, Mujezinović, 1969, p. 183).


3.Research and conservation and restoration works

            The bridge was blown up and partly destroyed in early 1945 during the retreat of the German army.  A temporary wooden structure was erected over the destroyed section, and immediately after the war the rest of the structure of the bridge was demolished and a reinforced concrete structure laid over the stone piers.

            The first study of the Stone Bridge in Konjic was published by Džemal Čelić and Mehmed Mujezinović in 1969 – Stari mostovi u Bosni i Hercegovini (Old Bridges in BiH), Sarajevo, 1969, with a drawing of the proposed reconstruction of the stone bridge and its tower.

            The Konjic urban plan includes the revival of the historical heart of the old čaršija, and as such the reconstruction of the old bridge. In 1977, at the initiative of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments in Mostar, a design concept for the reconstruction of the bridge was drawn up, based on technical data from Prof. Milivoj Frković. The design for the reconstruction of the Old Bridge was produced by «Plan» design company, Konmic. The project was based on the following principles:

§         The silhouette of the bridge was to be defined on the basis of existing authentic details and by reference to surviving works by the old master builders on such structures in the region;

§         The bridge was to be built of the same kind of stone treated and dressed as the old master builders did;

§         Everything that was not visible to onlooker would be made of modern materials and to the principles of modern bridge-building;

§         Space was envisaged for utility installations to be laid along the bridge beneath the road structure;

§         Strict respect for the original dimensions of the individual elements, contours and volumes of the bridge as a whole.

            At a review of the design concept for the reconstruction (Konjic, 1977) all these postulates and solutions were accepted and consent was given to draw up the main design project, but work was suspended because of lack of funds. (Gojković, 1989, pp. 10-11)


4. Current condition of the monument

            On site inspection revealed the following:

§         The structure suffered no war damage;

§         The structure and its surroundings are exposed to specific risks resulting from its use for road traffic – structural and dynamic damage to the original structure of the bridge (the piers), deposits from vehicle exhaust not removed, weathering etc.;

§         The structure is deteriorating as a result of the lack of regular maintenance.




            Applying the Criteria for the adoption of a decision on proclaiming an item of property a national monument (Official Gazette of BiH nos. 33/02 and 15/03), the Commission has enacted the Decision cited above.

            The Decision was based on the following criteria:

            A.  Time frame

            B.  Historical value

            C.  Artistic and aesthetic value

                        C.iii. proportions

                        C.iv. composition

                        C.vi. value of construction

            D. Clarity

                        D. iv. evidence of a particular type, style or regional manner

            E. Symbolic value

                        E.iii. traditional value

                        E.v. significance for the identity of a group of people

            F. Townscape/ Landscape value

                        F.ii. meaning in the townscape

            H. Rarity and representativity

                        H.i. unique or rare example of a certain type or style


            The following documents form an integral part of this Decision:

-         Copy of cadastral plan

-         Copy of land register entry and proof of title;

-         Photodocumentation;

-         Drawings



-         Anđelić, Pavao, Historijski spomenici Konjica i okoline I (Historic monuments of Konjic and environs), Konjic Municipal Assembly, Konjic, 1975

-         Čelić, Džemal, Mostovi Hercegovine (Bridges of Herzegovina), «Most» no. 7, Mostar, 1976

-         Čelić, Džemal, Mujezinović, Mehmed, Stari mostovi u Bosni i Hercegovini (Old Bridges in BiH), Veselin Masleša, Sarajevo, 1969

-         Çelebi, Evliya, Putopis (Bosnian translation of his Seyahatnamesi or Travelogue), Sarajevo Publishing, Sarajevo, 1996

-         Kovačević-Kojić, Desanka, Gradska naselja srednjevjekovne bosanske države (Urban settlements of the mediaeval Bosnian state), Veselin Masleša, Sarajevo, 1978

-         Gojković, Milan, Stari kameni mostovi (Old Stone Bridges), Naučna knjiga, Belgrade, 1989

-         Hasandedić, Hivzija, Nekoliko novih podataka o kamenom mostu u Konjicu (Some new details on the stone bridge in Konjic), «Most» br. 7, Mostar, 1976

-         Mujezinović, Mehmed, Islamska epigrafika Bosne i Hercegovina III (Islamic epigraphics of BiH III), Sarajevo Publishing, Sarajevo, 1998

-         Mulić, Jusuf, Dvije značajne godišnjice grada Konjica: 620 godina prvog zvaničnog pomena grada i 320 godina od izgradnje bivšeg kamenog mosta (Two major Konjic anniversaries: 620 years since the first official reference to the town and 320 years since the construction of the former stone bridge), Hercegovina 15-16 – cultural and historical heritage magazine, Archives of Herzegovina, Mostar, 2003

-         Mulić, Jusuf, Konjic i njegova okolina u vrijeme osmanske vladavine (1464-1878) (Konjic and environs in the Ottoman period [1464-1878]), Konjic Municipality, Konjic, 2001

-         Regional Institute for the Protection of the Cultural and Natural Monuments, Mostar, Idejni projekat rekonstrukcije Starog mosta u Konjicu (Preliminary Design of Reconstruction of the Old Bridge in Konjic), Mostar, 1977

-         Vego, Marko, Postanak srednjevjekovne bosanske države (Origin of the mediaeval  Bosnian state), Svjetlost, Sarajevo, 1982

-         Documentation from the Institute for the Protection of the Cultural, Historical and Natural Heritage of Mostar, 2003

-         Documentation from Konjic Municipality, 2003

Old stone bridge, detail-pillar	Old stone bridge in Konjic, photo before II W.W. View at the Old stone bridge and Konjice before the destruction in II W.W.Old stone bridge – upstream facade
Old stone bridge – downstream facade   

BiH jezici 
Commision to preserve national monuments © 2003. Design & Dev.: