The International Training Workshop on the preparation of
Section II of Periodic Reports for Central and South Eastern European Countries
14.-17. April 2005, Spis Museum in Levoca, Slovakia
The workshop was attended by 58 representatives of the countries and WHC and UNESCO.
On behalf of the Commission representing BiH, the workshop was attended by Alisa Marjanovic, Associate and Mirela M.Handan, Executive Officer.
Aims of the workshop, stated by the WHC UNESCO representatives, are:
- to highlight the strengths and challenges in the region,
- to strength the regional and sub-regional cooperation,
- to identify priorities for developing programs for cooperation.
Challenges for WHC, highlighted by Christofer Young, World Heritage and International Policy, are:
- to improve WH coverage;
- lack of coverage with marine, coastal sites, natural sites;
- to involve local population in implementation of the WH Convention;
- to strengthen the national level coordination in applying the Convention.
16 April - Policy, challenges and priorities identified by the Commission presented by Mirela M.Handan, Executive Officer.
Schedule of the WHC UNESCO activities and events in regard to Periodic Reporting:
-11.-16 July, examination of Section I Periodic Reports at the 29th WHC session in Durban, South Africa;
-31st October 2005, deadline for submittion of Section II PR;
-November 2005, Berlin, follow up on Section I PR and development of regional strategy, priorities and challenges of the countries;
-1st January till 15th April 2006, synthesis of the Periodic Reports;
-summer 2006, examination of Section II PR;
-autumn 2006, follow up on Section II;
-2007, reflecting year.
Outputs behind the Programme:
- Pedro Matos, UNESCO Remote Sensing Unit, proposed to invite the Commission to participate at the training for GIS, that will be organized by UNESCO;
- Katri Lisitzin, ICCROM expert, invited the Commission to apply for training of the staff and internship program of the ICCROM, through the State Party member to the ICCROM;
- Giora Solar, ICOMOS expert, consultant for Jewish heritage; expect to consider nomination for Old Jewish Graveyard in Sarajevo submitted by the Commission.