Status of monument -> National monument
to Article V para. 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina
and Article 39 para. 1 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve
National Monuments, at a session held from 4 to 6 February 2013 the Commission
D E C I S
I O N
historic building of the Church of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj is
hereby designated as a National
Monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina
(hereinafter: the National Monument).
National Monument consists of the church.
movable property of the church is not subject to the protection measures set
forth in this Decision.
National Monument is located on a site designated as cadastral plot no. 1536
(new survey), corresponding to c.p. nos. 509/1 and 510/1 (old survey),
cadastral municipality Maglaj, title deed no. 1474/05, Land Register entry no.
1228, Municipality Maglaj, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and
parish hall built in the 1980s on the same site as the church (c.p. no. 1536),
and the movable heritage kept in the church, are not subject to statutory
protection and the provisions of this Decision do not apply to them.
provisions relating to protection measures set forth by the Law on the
Implementation of the Decisions of the Commission to Preserve National
Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement
for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of the Federation of BiH
nos. 2/02, 27/02, 6/04 and 51/07) shall apply to the National Monument.
Government of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the
Government of the Federation) shall be responsible for providing the legal,
scientific, technical, administrative and financial measures necessary for the
protection, conservation and presentation of the National Monument.
Commission to Preserve National Monuments (hereinafter: the Commission) shall
determine the technical requirements and secure the funds for preparing and
erecting signboards with basic details of the monument and the Decision to
proclaim the property a National Monument.
the on-going protection of the National Monument on the area defined in Clause
1 para. 3 of this Decision, the following protection measures are hereby
all works are prohibited
other than conservation-restoration works, routine maintenance works, works
designed to ensure the sustainable use of the property, and works designed for
the presentation of the monument, with the approval of the federal ministry
responsible for regional planning and under the expert supervision of the
heritage protection authority of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
works that could have the
effect of altering the site are prohibited, as is the erection of temporary or
permanent structures not designed solely for the protection and presentation of
the National Monument;
on the adjoining plot,
designated as c.p. nos. 1534, 1537 and 1543, the erection is permitted of new
buildings with a maximum of storeys, maximum dimensions of 10 x 12 m, and a
maximum height of 6.50 m. to the base of the roof structure
executive and area development planning acts are hereby revoked to the extent
that they are not in accordance with the provisions of this Decision.
and in particular the competent authorities of the Federation of Bosnia and
Herzegovina, the Canton, and urban and municipal authorities, shall refrain
from any action that might damage the National Monument or jeopardize the
Government of the Federation, the federal ministry responsible for regional
planning, the Federation heritage protection authority, and the municipal
authorities in charge of urban planning and land registry affairs, shall be
notified of this Decision in order to carry out the measures stipulated in
Articles II to V of this Decision, and the authorized municipal court shall be
notified for the purposes of registration in the Land Register.
elucidation and accompanying documentation form an integral part of this
Decision, which may be viewed by interested parties on the premises or by
accessing the website of the Commission (http://www.kons.gov.ba)
to Art. V para 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina,
decisions of the Commission are final.
Decision shall enter into force on the day following its publication in the
Official Gazette of BiH.
Decision has been adopted by the following members of the Commission: Zeynep
Ahunbay, Martin Cherry, Amra Hadžimuhamedović, Dubravko Lovrenović, and
5 February 2013
E l u c i
d a t i o n
I – INTRODUCTION
to Article 2, paragraph 1 of the Law on the Implementation of the Decisions of
the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8
of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a
“National Monument” is an item of public property proclaimed by the Commission
to Preserve National Monuments to be a National Monument pursuant to Articles V
and VI of Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and
Herzegovina and property entered on the Provisional List of National Monuments of
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of BiH no. 33/02) until the Commission
reaches a final decision on its status, as to which there is no time limit and
regardless of whether a petition for the property in question has been
submitted or not.
March 2004 the Serbian Orthodox Church, Maglaj parish, submitted a
proposal/petition to the Commission to designate the Church
of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj as
a national monument
of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
to the provisions of the law, the Commission proceeded to carry out the
procedure for reaching a final decision to designate the Property as a National
Monument, pursuant to Article V para. 4 of Annex 8 and Article 35 of the Rules
of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments.
Statement of Significance
The Church of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj was
built between 1906 and 1908 in the historicist style, one of many churches
built in the late 19th and early 20th century of which relatively few are still
extant. It belongs to the type of single-aisled vaulted church with side
choirs, a bell tower at the west end, and an apse at the east end. It was built
of brick and stone.
building was badly damaged during the 1992-1995 war, when the walls were
destroyed down to about 50 cm below the cornice. It was restored in its
original form and to its original use as a place of worship. The church is
important to the history of Maglaj as a religious building, and is a
significant feature in the townscape.
building was rehabilitated on the same site, on the foundations and walls of
the previous building, with the same footprint, on the basis of preliminary
investigative works including a survey of the remains of the building, and an
analysis of old photographs.
II – PROCEDURE PRIOR TO DECISION
procedure preceding the adoption of a final decision to proclaim the property a
national monument, the following documentation was inspected:
documentation on the
location and current owner and user of the property (copy of cadastral plan,
Land Register entry and transcript of title deed),
details of the current
condition and use of the property, details of its destruction during the war
and of its rehabilitation, and of the project, materials and building methods
used during its rehabilitation,
and other documentary material on the property,
details of prior statutory
protection of the property,
the views in writing of
the owner, expressing full agreement with the designation of the property as a national monument of BiH.
to Article V para. 2 of Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in
Bosnia and Herzegovina and Article 37 of the Rules of Procedure of the
Commission, before rendering a final decision designating a property as a
national monument, the Commission is required to provide the owner of the
proposed monument, the person submitting the petition, the institutions
responsible for heritage, professional and academic institutions, experts and
scholars, as well as other interested parties, to express their views.
the Commission took the following steps:
Published an announcement
in the Official Gazette of BiH no. 103/12 of 24 January 2013 to inform the
public that the procedure to designate this and other properties as national
monuments was under way and appealing to the owners and other interested
natural and juristic persons, bodies and institutions to submit their views on
the designation of the property as a national monument to the Commission within
Sent a letter ref.
06.2-35.2—5/12-36 of 28 February 2012 requesting documentation and views on the
designation of the Church of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj, was sent to the
Serbian Orthodox parish of Maglaj, Maglaj Municipality - department responsible
for urbanism and cadastral affairs, the Land Registry office of the Municipal
Court in Maglaj, the Federal Ministry of Regional Planning and the Institute
for the Protection of Monuments under the Federal Ministry of Culture and
As of the
date on which this Decision was rendered, the Commission had received the
Letter ref. 03-23-2-272/12
of 2 March 2012 from the Federal Ministry of Regional Planning notifying the
Commission to Preserve National Monuments that it has no information or
documentation on the property.
07-40-4-1668-1/12 of 6 March 2012 from the Institute for the Protection of
Monuments under the Federal Ministry of Culture and Sport supplying copies of
drawings of the Church of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj from the Repair
Project of 2003 (ground plan, cross section, four elevations) and two
photographs taken in 1998.
Letter dated 2 March 2012
from the Serbian Orthodox parish of Maglaj supplying the following
documentation for the Church
of St Elijah the Prophet
of cadastral plan no. 14 of 14 March 2012
of title no. 1474/05 of 14 March 2012
Register entry nos. 1228, 1229 and 1230.
taken in 2003
section from the Main Project for the Reconstruction and Repair of the Orthodox
Church of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj, 2003, produced by FABING Sarajevo
design, engineering and consultancy.
findings based on the review of the above documentation and the condition of
the property are as follows:
1. Details of the property
The Church of St Elijah the Prophet is in the new part
of Maglaj, on the left bank of the River Bosna.
National Monument is located on a site designated as cadastral plot no. 1536
(new survey), corresponding to c.p. nos. 509/1 and 510/1 (old survey),
cadastral municipality Maglaj, Land Register entry no. 1228, title deed no.
1474/05, Municipality Maglaj, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and
came under Austrian rule after fierce fighting lasting from 3 to 5 August 1878.
During the Austro-Hungarian period the entire economic and social structure of
society in BiH changed, but no distinction was made between the rural and the
urban economy until World War I. In 1878 the railway line linking Bosanski Brod
was laid through Maglaj, and on 15 October that year a post and telegraph
station was opened there. The iron bridge on the Brod to Sarajevo railway line was built in1909.
modern age and industrial development defined the final appearance of the town,
with the older part located on the right bank and the new on the left bank of
the river, linked by a road bridge, and of entirely different structure
functionally, architecturally, historically and in terms of townscape.
parish was founded by ruling of the Dabar-Bosnia Metropolitanate in Sarajevo in 1883. The
first priest to serve the parish was Serafim Marković of Vozuća, who died on 15
November 1886. A few days later, on 27 November, the Consistory in Sarajevo resolved to
appoint Simo Bjelajac as the new parish priest in Maglaj. Since the parish did
not have its own church at that time, the residents of Maglaj parish decided to
build one. Work began on the Church
of St Elijah in 1906 and
was completed in 1906, when the church was consecrated. It was built in the
historicist manner, with the general features of mediaeval Byzantine
architecture, as was typical of Orthodox churches built in the late 19th and
early 20th centuries.
Elijah’s Church was badly damaged during the 1992 to 1995 war, being shelled
and set on fire. The top of the bell tower caved in, and the roof timbers were
rehabilitation of the church began in mid 2003, and it was reconsecrated by
Bishop Vasilije Kačavenda of Zvornik and Tuzla
on 30 September 2007.
2. Description of the property(2)
The Church of St Elijah belongs to the type of
single-aisled vaulted church with side choirs, a bell tower at the west end,
and an apse at the east end. It is rectangular in plan, measuring
approx. 11.00 x 15.10 m on the outside, including the apse, with its long axis
east-west. The walls were built of stone and brick. The surviving walls were
used in part following war damage to the property. The walls were destroyed
down to about 50 cm below the cornice. The walls of the bell tower and the
north and south walls of the church were built of rubble stone to a height of
2.50 m above ground, and the rest of the walls were built of brick. The south
and north walls are 76 to 84 cm thick, the west wall is about 80 cm thick, and
the apse walls are about 62 cm thick. All the walls are rendered and painted on
the outside and plastered and painted on the inside.
of the church is vaulted, with a gabled roof over. The choirs and apse have separate
polygonal roofs. The entire roof frame was built of timber, and the roofs are
clad with sheet copper.
church has two portals. The main entrance is at the west end, and the
secondary entrance is to the south. This side entrance, which is little used,
opens straight onto the nave. The portals are arched, with simple decoration. The
main portal, which is set back in the façade, is more elaborately decorated
than the side portal, being framed by a round arch joined by flanking engaged
columns about 2 metres in height, which project out from the bell tower piers
by about ¾ of their circumference. The shafts of the columns, which are 167 in
height and 15 cm in diameter, are undecorated. The capitals are in the form of
volutes. The solid wood double-valved door, which measures about 150 x 220 cm,
is rectangular with a wooden semicircular lunette over. The door is of simple
design, without decoration, but merely divided into two panels, square below
and rectangular above. The side portal consists of a solid wood rectangular
door measuring 110 x 220 cm with a semicircular wooden lunette over.
interior of the church consists of a parvis with a gallery above, the nave, and
the sanctuary in the apse.
at the west end of the church is entered through the main entrance. The main
entrance to the church occupies the middle of the parvis, framed by the bell
tower piers. The parvis forms a single space with the nave, and is accentuated
visually by the gallery above. Measuring 8.25 x 1.85 m on the inside, it is
articulated into three sections by the two substantial bell tower piers: the
central entrance section, and two lateral sections to left and right of the
entrance. The square piers, which measure 80 x 80 cm in section, are linked
centrally at gallery level by a round arch. The wooden staircase in north
lateral section of the parvis, leading to the gallery, is about 98 cm wide with
treads about 25 cm deep, and has a wooden railing.
is of the open type, carried on the bell tower piers and outside walls of the
parvis. The bell tower piers rise through the gallery, which is used by the
church choir and also provides access to the bell housing. The gallery measures
approx. 8.25 x 3.35 m, with a ceiling height of approx. 2.00 m. The gallery
floor joists and decking floor together are 57.5 cm thick. The wooden railing
and hand rail of the gallery are finished in the same way as the staircase.
which occupies the central section of church, is wider than the parvis on
account of the side choirs to the south and north, which are 45 cm wide, giving
a width for the nave at that point of approx. 9.15 cm. The nave is covered by a
groin vault approx.7.40 m in height. The semicircular ambo in the long axis of
the church is at the east end of the nave.
which is one step (10 cm) higher than the nave, is separated from the nave by a
wooden iconostasis. The sanctuary, with the proscomidion, diaconicon and altar
table, occupies the apse, which is covered by a semidome. The proscomidion and diaconicom
consists of niches 70 cm wide and 35 cm deep in the east wall. The stone altar
table, which measures approx. 80 x 70 cm, occupies the middle of the sanctuary.
are rendered and decorated with vertical mouldings at every corner of the outside
walls. All the doors and windows are surmounted by a half-round moulding. The
outside walls are approx. 6.50 m high from ground-level to the base of the
roof; the gabled roof itself is 10.20 m in height. The stone socle is 50 cm
and south façades each have one window in the parvis section and two wooden
windows lighting the choirs. These windows are round-headed, and measure 70 x
200 cm. The outside walls of the parvis also have round-headed blind niches. The
north and south façades also each have a small semicircular window with a blind
oculus above. The south façade also has a wooden door. The three-sided apse
at the east end of the church has an interior radius of approx. 2.4 m, and
walls of approx.4.45 m from ground-level to the base of the roof. The apex of
the conical apse roof, which is about 1.5 m below the ridge of the gabled roof
of the main body of the church, is clad with sheet copper. The apse has three
round-headed windows of approx. 70 x 125 m, on three sides of the apse. The
west façade of the church has two round-headed windows measuring approx 80 x 12
cm symmetrically flanking the bell tower. The bell tower itself has a biforate
window above the main entrance, consisting of two single-light rectangular,
rounded-headed halves. The blind oculus above the biforate window is decorated.
tower in the axis of the church, at the west end, is a massive square tower
approx. 17.5 m in height, with sides of 2.4 m, carried on four substantial
piers. The brick walls are 85 cm thick. The dome, which rests on a slender
octagonal drum, is made of wood and clad with sheet copper. The bell housing
occupies the octagonal section, which has one louvred, round-headed window on
each side. The bell tower is approx. 14.40 m in height to the apex of the dome,
while the wrought iron cross that tops it is 2.00 m in height. Above the wooden
portal on the west front of the bell tower is a biforate window with a circular
blind recess above. The decorative arch above the biforate window and the
circular recess each have shallow geometric mouldings executed in the façade
Description of the iconostasis(3)
iconostasis of St Elijah’s Church in Maglaj was made in 2007. The frame was
made by Zdravko Popović of Banja Luka, and the
icons are the work of Goran Pešić, an icon and fresco painter from the east (Serbia,
of the iconostasis is made of wood. The icons affixed to it were painted on
lessonite, and depict a variety of scenes. They are in two tiers.
Lower tier, from north to
Elijah the Prophet
of God and Christ
doors with the Annunciation
Stephen the Archdeacon
7. St John the Baptist
Upper tier, from north to
2. St Simeon
Peter and Paul
5. St Basil
of the Mother of God
George the Great Martyr
Basil the Great
The scene of the Last Supper
is surmounted by a cross.
of the church was painted in 2007 and 2008 by of Goran Pešić, an icon and
fresco painter from the east (Serbija, Metohija). The apse and nave were
painted by 2012.
too, Christ’s tomb with the scene of the Ascension was produced (the work of
Zdravko Popović of Banja Luka, as was the
Bishop’s throne with the figure of Bishop St Nectarios (the work of Sava Živković).
3. Legal status to date
The Church of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj was not
entered in the Register of Immovable Cultural Monuments by the Institute for
the Protection of the Cultural and Natural Heritage of BiH, nor was it subject
to statutory protection.
4. Research and
Church of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj was badly damaged during the 1992 to
1995 war, being shelled and set on fire. The top of the bell tower (dome and
drum) caved in, and the roof timbers were burnt, as were all the doors and
window frames. The walls were destroyed down to about 50 cm below the cornice.
The walls of the building subsequently crumbled in places as a result of
exposure to the elements.
reconstruction of the church was carried out on the basis of the Main Project
for the Reconstruction and Repair of the Orthodox Church of St Elijah the
Prophet in Maglaj, 2003, produced by FABING Sarajevo design, engineering
reconstruction was preceded by a conservation-restoration project produced by
the Institute for the Protection of Monuments under the Federal Ministry of
Culture and Sport.
5. Current condition of the
findings of an on-site inspection by Commission staff in March 2012 are
that the property is in good condition both inside and out, is kept well
maintained, and is in use.
6. Specific risks
III – CONCLUSION
the Criteria for the adoption of a decision on proclaiming an item of property
a national monument (Official Gazette of BiH nos. 33/02 and 15/03), the
Commission has enacted the Decision cited above.
Decision was based on the following criteria:
A. Time frame
B. Historical value
C. Artistic and aesthetic value
C.i. quality of workmanship
C.ii. quality of materials
C.v. value of details
E. Symbolic value
E.ii. religious value
E.v. significance for the identity of a group of
F. Townscape/ Landscape value
F.iii. the building or group of buildings is part
of a group or site
G.i. form and design
G.ii. materials and content
G.iv. location and setting
following documents form an integral part of this Decision:
Copy of cadastral plan,
scale 1:1000, plan no. 14, c.p. 1536, c.m. Maglaj, Municipality Maglaj,
Zenica-Doboj Canton, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and
Herzegovina, issued by the Department of Town Planning, Geodetics and
Proprietary Rights, Maglaj Municipality, on 14 March 2012
Proof of title no.
1474/05, issued by the Department of Town Planning, Geodetics and Proprietary
Rights, Maglaj Municipality, on 14 March 2012
Land Registry entry nos.
1228, 1119 and 1230 (for c.p. 509/1 and 510/1, old survey), c.m. Maglaj, issued
by the Land Registry office of the Municipal Court in Zavidovići on 16 March
Photographs of the Church of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj taken in
March 2012 by members of staff of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments
The Institute for the
Protection of Monuments under the Federal Ministry of Culture and Sport
supplied copies of drawings of the Church of St Elijah the Prophet in Maglaj
from the Repair Project of 2003 (ground plan, cross section, four elevations)
The Serbian Orthodox
parish of Maglaj supplied the textual section from the Main Project for the
Reconstruction and Repair of the Orthodox Church of St Elijah the Prophet in
Maglaj, 2003, produced by FABING Sarajevo design, engineering and consultancy
the procedure to designate the historic building of the Church of St Elijah
the Prophet in Maglaj as a national monument, the following works were
1900. Mihályi. Máramarosi diplomák a XIV. és XV. századbόl.
1951. Kreševljaković, Hamdija. “Prilozi povjesti bosanskih gradova pod
turskom upravom” (Contributions to the history of Bosnian towns under Turkish
rule), Contributions to oriental philology. Sarajevo –II (1951)
1965. Bojanovski, Ivo. “Stari grad Maglaj: Istraživački i
konzervatorski radovi 1962. i 1963.” g. (Maglaj fort: investigative and
conservation works 1962 and 1963), Naše starine. Sarajevo – X (1965)
1980. Kreševljaković, Hamdija. Kapetanije u Bosni i Hercegovini
(Captaincies in BiH). 2nd ed. Sarajevo:
1999. Ljuca, Adin. Maglaj na tragovima prošlosti (Maglaj in the
footsteps of the past). Prague:
New Testament: Novi
zavjet, prijevod Svetog arhijerejskog sinoda Srpske pravoslavne crkve 1997.
(1) For more on the historical
background for the Church of St Elijah the Project in Maglaj, see the decisions
by the Commission to Preserve National Monuments designating the architectural
ensemble of Maglaj fort in Maglaj and the historic building of the Uzeirbegović
konak in Maglaj as national monuments.
(2) The description is of the building
as restored in 2003, on the basis of the following documentation: main project
for the reconstruction and repair of the Orthodox Church of St Elijah the
Prophet in Maglaj, 2003, produced by Fabing Sarajevo design, engineering and
consultancy. This was preceded by a project for repairs to the church, produced
by the Institute for the Protection of Monuments under the Federal Ministry of
Culture and Sport, from which it can be seen that the new church is a copy in
size and appearance of the 1906-1980 church.
(3) The movable property of the
church, consisting of the iconostasis and icons, is not subject to the
protection measures set forth in this Decision.