Decisions on Designation of Properties as National Monuments

Provisional List

About the Provisional List

List of Petitions for Designation of Properties as National Monuments

Heritage at Risk

60th session - Decisions

Mosque in Ćojluk, the architectural ensemble

gallery back

Status of monument -> National monument

Pursuant to Article V para. 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Article 39 para. 1 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, at a session held from 21 to 24 November 2011 the Commission adopted a






The architectural ensemble of the mosque in Ćojluk, Municipality Srebrenik, is hereby designated as a National Monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the National Monument).

The architectural ensemble consists of the mosque and the burial ground by the mosque.

The National Monument is located on a site designated as cadastral plot no. 697, Land Register entry no. 132, cadastral municipality Srebrenik, Municipality Srebrenik, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The provisions relating to protection measures set forth by the Law on the Implementation of the Decisions of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of the Federation of BiH nos. 2/02, 27/02, 6/04 and 51/07) shall apply to the National Monument.




The Government of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the Government of the Federation) shall be responsible for ensuring and providing the legal, scientific, technical, administrative and financial measures necessary for the protection, conservation and presentation of the National Monument.

The Government of the Federation shall be responsible for providing the resources needed to draw up and implement the necessary technical documentation for the protection of the National Monument.

The Commission to Preserve National Monuments (hereinafter: the Commission) shall determine the technical requirements and secure the funds for preparing and setting up signboards with basic details of the monument and the Decision to proclaim the property a National Monument.




To ensure the on-going protection of the National Monument, the following protection measures are hereby stipulated, which shall apply to the area defined in Clause 1 para. 3 of this Decision.

-          all works are prohibited other than research and conservation and restoration works, routine maintenance works, and works designed to ensure the sustainable use of the monument, including those designed for the presentation of the monument, with the approval of the federal ministry responsible for regional planning and under the expert supervision of the heritage protection authority of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina;

-          the only construction permitted on the plots adjacent to the plot where the National Monument is located (c.p. nos. 1135 and 1150) is that of buildings with a maximum height of two storeys (ground plus one) and a maximum footprint of 10 x 10 m;

-          the dumping of waste is prohibited.


The following urgent protection measures are hereby prescribed:

-          examine and carry out a structural analysis of the structural components of the building;

-          carry out the structural consolidation of the property and repair the structural components, using traditional materials and the same techniques wherever possible;

-          protect the building from negative external impacts.


The conservation-restoration works must be carried out in line with the following conditions:

-          during the restoration and conservation works, original materials and original methods of their treatment and incorporation shall be used wherever possible;

-          on completion of investigative works the function and original appearance of the semi-enclosed portico of the  entrance area of the mosque shall be restored, and the concrete access steps and storm porch structure shall be removed.




All executive and area development planning acts are hereby revoked to the extent that they are not in accordance with the provisions of this Decision.




Everyone, and in particular the competent authorities of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Canton, and urban and municipal authorities, shall refrain from any action that might damage the National Monument or jeopardize the preservation and rehabilitation thereof.




The Government of the Federation, the Federal Ministry responsible for regional planning, the Federation heritage protection authority, and the Municipal Authorities in charge of urban planning and land registry affairs, shall be notified of this Decision in order to carry out the measures stipulated in Articles II to V of this Decision, and the Authorized Municipal Court shall be notified for the purposes of registration in the Land Register.




The elucidation and accompanying documentation form an integral part of this Decision, which may be viewed by interested parties on the premises or by accessing the website of the Commission (http://www.kons.gov.ba). 




Pursuant to Art. V para 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, decisions of the Commission are final.




This Decision shall enter into force on the date of its adoption and shall be published in the Official Gazette of BiH.


This Decision has been adopted by the following members of the Commission: Zeynep Ahunbay, Martin Cherry, Amra Hadžimuhamedović, Dubravko Lovrenović and Ljiljana Ševo.


No.: 07.1-2.3-77/11-41

22 November  2011



Chair of the Commission

Dubravko Lovrenović


E l u c i d a t i o n



Pursuant to Article 2, paragraph 1 of the Law on the Implementation of the Decisions of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a “National Monument” is an item of public property proclaimed by the Commission to Preserve National Monuments to be a National Monument pursuant to Articles V and VI of Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina  and property entered on the Provisional List of National Monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of  BiH no. 33/02) until the Commission reaches a final decision on its status, as to which there is no time limit and regardless of whether a petition for the property in question has been submitted or not.

On 10 February 2003 the Centre for Islamic Architecture, Sarajevo, submitted a proposal to the Commission to Preserve National Monuments to designate the mosque in Ćojluk, Srebrenik Municipality, as a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Pursuant to the proposal, the Commission proceeded to carry out the procedure for reaching a final decision to designate the Property as a National Monument, pursuant to Article V para. 4 of Annex 8 and Article 35 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments.


Statement of Significance

The mosque in Čojluk belongs to the type of single-space mosque of rectangular plan, with a hipped roof and wooden minaret. It was recorded in the first Austro-Hungarian land register in 1887 as the property of the Vakuf of the Čojluk Mosque, under serial number 697. The original tarih (chronogram) has not survived, but the south-east façade bears a stone plaque carved with two dates: construction in 1666 and repairs in 1971.

The harem of the mosque contains 20 nišan tombstones, one of which dates from 1209 AH (1794/95). The mosque was the place of worship for many of the surrounding villages. It is now in poor condition, and there are plans for its restoration.



In the procedure preceding the adoption of a final decision to proclaim the property a national monument, the following documentation was inspected:

-          Data on the current condition and use of the property, including a description, architectural survey and photographs

-          An inspection of the current condition of the property

-          A copy of the cadastral plans

-          A copy of the Land Register entries

-          The petition from the Centre for Islamic Architecture in Sarajevo, dated 10 February 2003

-          Historical, architectural and other documentary material on the property, as set out in the bibliography forming part of this Decision


Pursuant to Article V para. 2 of Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Article 37 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission, before rendering a final decision designating a property as a national monument, the Commission will provide the owner of the proposed monument, the person submitting the petition, the institutions responsible for heritage, professional and academic institutions, experts and scholars, as well as other interested parties, to express their views. Accordingly, the Commission sent a letter ref. 06.1-35-271/03-3 dated 20 February 2003 requesting documentation and views on the designation of the mosque in Ćojluk as a national monument to the Board of the Islamic Community of Srebrenik, the Federal Ministry of Regional Planning and the Institute for the Protection of Monuments under the Federal Ministry of Culture and Sport.

In response, the Commission has received the following documentation:

-          Under cover of letter ref. 39/07 dated 31 January 2007, the Board of the Islamic Community of Srebrenik provided a copy of the title deed, Land Register entry, photographs, and a description of the mosque, expressing its support for the designation of the property as a national monument;

-          Under cover of letter ref. 229/10 dated 6 October 2010 the Institute for the Protection and Use of the Cultural and Natural Heritage of Tuzla Canton supplied documentation for the designation of the property as a national monument.


The findings based on the review of the above documentation and the condition of the property are as follows:


1. Details of the property


The village of Ćojluk is about 2 km west of Srebrenik and about 600 m as the crow flies south-west of Srebrenik Fort. Ćojluk Brook (featuring on some maps as Srebrenik Brook), west of Srebrenik Fort, flows into the River Tinja 2 km south-west of the village of Ćojluk. In mediaeval times this was the route linking Srebrenik Fort, along the Tinja valley, with the rest of Bosnia.  Surviving toponyms suggest that the area included land cultivated for the needs of the residents of the mediaeval town of Srebrenik: Vina, Vinogradi, Sadišta, Graske njive [respectively, Wines, Vineyards, Plantations, Beanfield] and suchlike.

The National Monument is located on a site designated as cadastral plot no. 697, Land Register entry no. 132, cadastral municipality Srebrenik, Municipality Srebrenik, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Historical background

A varoš (township) is recorded below Srebrenik Fort in Ottoman defters (tax records); the first reference to the township is in a charter of Bosnia’s ban Stjepan II in 1333). The township had ten to twenty houses and differed from a village in that it had a market place. The 1533 census records 73 households and 31 bachelor households in Srebrenik nahija; by 1548 there were 486 households and eleven bachelor households (Handžić, 1975, 135-136). After the Battle of Mohács in 1526, when the Ottoman sphere of interests shifted northwards, Srebrenik Fort lost its earlier strategic importance.

The hilly terrain and absence of a river prevented the varoš from developing into a kasaba (small town).  After 1604(1), and the landslides that affected the varoš, the residents began to move away, some to a village further south, the Mahala of the Bey’s konak, while others went west, to the area now known as Čifluk.

There are no references to the new village of Ćojluk in any defters prior to 1605. Though the absence of written documents makes it impossible to determine the exact time when Ćojluk came into being, the fact that the township on the outskirts of Srebrenik was abandoned, along with the semantics of the name Ćojluk(2) (a masculine noun deriving from Persian and Turkish roots, which may be translated as village), suggests that it took shape after the varoš was abandoned. One of the surviving nišans in the harem of the mosque bears the date 1209 AH (1794), while a document in the Oriental Collection of the Archives of Tuzla Canton implies beyond doubt that Ćojluk was certainly in existence as a village in the early 18th century(3).

The plaque on the south-east wall of the mosque bears not only the date of repairs, 1971, but also 1666 as the year the mosque was built. According to older residents of Ćojluk, the plaque is a transcript of an earlier tarih (chronogram), which was buried under it, in the harem of the mosque, when the mosque was repaired in 1971.

The mosque was recorded in the first Austro-Hungarian land register in 1887 as the property of the Vakuf of the Čojluk Mosque, under serial number 697. The 1913 inventory of independent vakufs also refers to the Vakuf of the Ćojluk Mosque in Gradačac District.

According to this inventory, the mosque had an income of 30 crowns from its own vakuf, from which the imam was paid(4). Hafiz Osman Jašarević is named as the mutevelija (manager) of the vakuf; older people also say that he served as imam until just before the end of World War I, when he was succeeded by a man with the same name, known to the locals as Mula Osman Jašarević, who held the post until the outbreak of World War II. Old residents of Ćojluk also recall members of the local Ramić family serving as imam.

When the mosque in Srebrenik Fort fell into disuse after 1850, its congregation joined that of Ćojluk. Oral tradition preserves the names of some imams of olden times: Hodžić (of Moranjci and Tarevci), Mulić (of Čiflik), Selim Softić known as Kuzum, and the aforementioned Osman Jašarević.

Austro-Hungarian censuses reveal that Ćojluk was a small village. In 1879 it had 127 residents – 67 men and 61 women [sic]. Their numbers grew over the next six years, and by 1885 the village had a population of 155 – 81 men and 74 women. In later censuses, Ćojluk was included with Srebrenik, and there are references to two mosques: Sheikh Sinan’s Mosque in Gornji Srebrenik, and the Ćojluk Mosque(5). The mosque was used as a place of worship not only by the residents of Ćojluk but also those from other villages, especially Dželikani and Junuzovići.


2. Description of the property

In its original layout, the mosque in Ćojluk belonged to the type of single-space mosque with hipped roof and wooden minaret. In the early 20th century(6) the mosque had wooden sofas at the north-west entrance side, later walled in; here, in the 1970s, a storm porch with access steps was added.

The original tarih (chronogram) has not survived, but the south-east façade bears a stone plaque carved with two dates: construction in 1666 and repairs in 1971.

The walls of the mosque were originally half-timbered with a šeper [wooden post and unfired brick] infill. This was replaced in the 1970s by a fired brick infill, retaining the oak half-timbering (the plaster has fallen away in places at the junction of the timbers and brick, clearly revealing the half-timbering). The walls are plastered and whitewashed inside and out.

The mosque measures approx. 6.20 x 8.40 m on the outside. Two flights of steps parallel to the north-west entrance façade (the north-west flight 7 x 18/29 cm, the south-west 5 x 18/29 cm) lead to a storm porch of approx. 1.75 x 2.35 m constructed of concrete and façade brick walls 12 cm thick covered with a flat reinforced concrete slab carried by four corner posts Ø14 cm.  This structure is, to put it simply, “stuck” to the mosque – both visually and structurally, the footings, walls and slab are all completely separate from the structural components of the mosque. The side walls of the storm porch each have a single window of approx. 87 x 205 cm.

The former exterior sofa area is now divided into two: a vestibule of approx. 1 53 x 3.48 with steps leading to the mahfil, and a side room of approx. 1.53 x 2.09 left of the entrance doorway. A wooden L-shaped staircase with steps approx. 66 cm wide occupies the corner.

The prayer hall is entered through a double-valve, round-headed wooden door. The daylight opening of the casing measures 111 x 184 cm.

Inside, the prayer hall measures 5.73 m from southwest to northeast and 6.20 m from southeast to northwest, with a diagonal of approx. 8.46 m. It has a flat wooden ceiling that has been plastered and whitewashed. The headroom from floor to ceiling is approx. 4.70 m.

The whole of the interior of the mosque is plastered with lime plaster and painted white.

The mosque was originally floored with wooden beams 5-6 cm thick, over which 1-inch wooden boards were laid five or six years ago.

The mosque had a wooden front mahfil(7), approx. 3.90 m deep and 5.73 m wide, with a semicircular central tribune approx. 155 cm wide and 68 cm deep for the muezzin. A low wooden railing approx. 46 cm high ran the length of the mahfil, with a balustrade of turned wooden spindles set about 14 cm apart. The balustrade and the lower decorative frieze with an arch design carved into the front boards of the mahfil tribune were painted green and red.

The mahfil rests on a wooden joist approx. 17.5 x 16 cm in section lying parallel with the cross walls of the mosque. The joist is about 3.80 m from the mihrab wall, and is carried by two square wooden posts approx. 17.5 cm in section with head trees (average diameter 17.5 x 14 cm, length approx. 138 cm). The wooden posts, which are carved from a single piece of wood 18 x 18 cm in section on average, were moulded and elaborately decorated by hand. The head trees are also moulded, and terminate in volutes. The posts are approx. 195 cm in overall height, composed of a base of approx. 33 cm, a shaft of approx. 133 cm and a capital of approx. 29 cm.  The shafts are circular in section, with entasis, giving a diameter at the junction with the capital and the base of approx. 11 cm compared with approx. 17.5 cm at the mid point. The capitals are decorated with wooden carvings in the stylized form of capitals composed of a “Turkish frieze” (8) of chevrons(9) and the base consists of alternating plinth, trochil and abacus with dentils in the form of small arcades.

The mihrab niche is four-sided in cross-section, with sides of 77 cm (front), 68 cm (back), 41 cm (left) and 45 cm (right). It is shallow-vaulted: the height of the sides is approx. 182 cm as against a height to the apex of 197 cm.  The frame of the mihrab niche stands about 30 cm proud of the wall plane; the sides are approx. 270 cm in height, and the top of the frame is stepped with an arched segment at the apex of the frame, which is about 303 cm in height (measured from floor level). The mihrab is plastered with lime plaster and whitewashed; there are no signs of painted or stalactite decoration.

To the right of the mihrab is the wooden mimber, which has footprint heights [sic] of approx. 76 x 210 cm. It has nine steps of varying heights and a width of about 65 cm. The entrance aperture, with a height of approx. 190 cm, is round-headed, and the crown over the passage, which is about 2.27 m above floor level, ends in undulating mouldings. The side railings of the steps, like the sides of the mimber itself, are moulded and decorated with a geometric design of triangles, semicircles and carved rosettes. The canopy over the podium of the mimber, which is approx. 65 cm wide and 55 cm long, is carried on four posts 65 x 70 mm in section. The cone of the mimber, set on the canopy at a height of approx. 3.55 m above floor level, is polygonal with a rectangular terminal. The top of the cone is at a height of approx 4.40 m. The mimber is painted light green.

The mosque has four lower windows and two upper windows in the south-east façade, but only two lower windows on the entrance front. The upper windows, which are not set directly above the lower, are single two-light windows glazed with plain glass, each light consisting of two panes. In the last five or six years the lower windows have been replaced by new ones with insulating glass(10).

A single-flight wooden ladder of 10 x 29 cm with steps approx 59 cm wide with board treads approx 6 cm thick, set by the west wall, leads to the loft.

The mosque has a steeply-pitched hipped roof (almost 40 deg.) with the wooden minaret rising from the middle. The roof has no flashings or guttering. The roof is clad with beaver-tail tiles laid over 2.5 x 5 cm wooden slats set approx. 13.5-14 cm apart. The roof timbers consist of two trusses set longitudinally, composed of beams ranging in section from approx. 20 x 20 cm to 20 x 25 cm set approx. 2.20 to 2.25 m apart. Multiple sloped studs rest on the trusses, while the ridge beam rests on queen posts. The roof frame is attached to the ceiling joists (which are approx. 15 x 15 cm in section and are laid transversally about 70 to 75 cm apart) by bolts and cramps, serving statically to brace the structure. The ceiling joists are joined by mortise and tenon joints to the wall plates, while the hewn rafters, which are approx. 15 x 15 to 15 x 18 cm in section, are socketed into the ceiling joists.

Access to the minaret is from the middle of the loft. A spiral staircase with 19 steps set approx. 33-35 cm apart leads to the “open” gallery of the šerefe. The minaret is constructed of eight wooden corner posts and a central wooden mast (approx. 10 x 10 to 12 x 12 cm) which [presumably meaning the outer posts: trans.] are chamfered on the outside. These wooden posts gradually narrow in section from the base to the top of the minaret. This structure rests on a floor in the form of a wooden grill. The gap between the corner posts and the central mast is approx 53 cm (measured at the level of the first five steps of the minaret).

In 1971 the exterior of the minaret was faced with galvanized iron.

Harem of the mosque

The mosque harem contains a total of 20 nišan tombstones, ten of which are of some age, judging from their appearance. Some of the men’s headstones have pleated turbans, but lack epitaphs.  Some of the men’s tombstones with no epitaph are carved with a sabre by way of decorative motif. One only is dated with the year 1209 (1794/95). The Carica spring is west of the harem wall.

There are four graves to the south-west of the mosque.

Nišan no. 1.

Old stone woman’s nišan, without epitaph, but carved with a hajji’s band. It is rectangular in section with sides of 18 x 14 cm and a height of 70 cm.

Nišan no. 2.

Stone nišan with pleated turban, top knocked off, square in section with sides of 14 cm and a height of 67 cm. It bears a partly damaged carved epitaph:

احمد رمض... سنة 1209

Ahmed Rmd (probably Ramadan).  1209 (1794/95).

Nišan no. 3.

Nišan with top knocked off, without epitaph, carved with a hajji’s band and sabre, square in section with sides of 15 cm and a height of 60 cm.

Nišan no. 4.

Nišan with pleated turban, without epitaph, square in section with sides of 13 cm and a height of 80 cm. One side bears a carved sabre and the other a purse (perhaps indicating a scholar). The top of the shaft is carved with a hajji’s band.

Nišan no. 5.

At the corner of the mosque, at the junction of the southeast and northeast walls, is a nišan without epitaph which local residents say could be the oldest tombstone in the burial ground. It is square in section, with sides of 16.5 cm, and a height of 96 cm. It is carved with a sword and hajji’s band. (All the nišans have an incised zigzag line, indicating that the deceased was a hajji. Most of them also bear an incised sabre, usually indicating that the deceased died in battle. Either they were all hajjis and shahids, or they simply copied the symbols on the oldest nišan.)


The part of the harem northeast of the mosque wall contains the following nišans:

Nišan no. 6.

Man’s stone nišan with pleated turban, without epitaph, carved with a sabre and hajji’s band, square in section with sides of 17x15 cm and a height of 85 cm.

Nišan no. 7.

Man’s stone nišan with pleated turban, without epitaph, carved with a hajji’s band, rectangular in section with sides of 17x14 cm and a height of 58 cm. (According to Mehmedalija Suljkanović, this is the grave of Salih Šiljić, who died in 1947.)

Nišan no. 8.

Man’s stone nišan with pleated turban, without epitaph, carved with a hajji’s band, square in section with sides of 15 cm and a height of 60 cm.

Nišan no. 9.

Man’s stone nišan with pleated turban, without epitaph, carved with an axe on one side and the year 1313 (1895/96) and a sabre on the other, rectangular in section with sides of 18 x 20 cm and a height of 106 cm.

Nišan no. 10.

Man’s stone nišan with pleated turban, without epitaph, carved with a sabre, rectangular in section with sides of 18x17 cm and a height of 107 cm. (According to Mehmedalija Suljkanović the last two graves belong to the brothers Hašim and Mustafa Jašić).(11)  


3. Legal status to date

The property has not been protected.


4. Research and conservation-restoration works

Nothing is known of any investigative works, and since the property was not a designated cultural property, no conservation-restoration works have been undertaken. Most of the works on the property have been carried out on the initiative of local residents. The last such works were in the 1970s.


5. Current condition of the property

The findings of an on-site inspection are as follows:

-          the storm porch is inappropriate to the building, and if the former open portico is to be reconstructed, the storm porch should be removed;

-          there are cracks about 1-3 mm deep on the mihrab wall, extending from the edge of the window openings down to the ground. Further investigations should be carried out to determine whether these are caused by uneven subsidence, problems with the footings, or the like;

-          the interior has been wood-panelled, making it impossible to say with certainty whether the building is affected by rising damp. It stands on a steep site close to the Carica spring, and it is not known if drainage was installed around the building;

-          inappropriate windows have been fitted at ground-floor level. Some original windows survive, providing details of the appearance and form of the former ground-floor windows;

-          the building clearly lacks proper thermal insulation, particularly to the northeast and northwest, the “coldest” façades, facing north, and paradiffusion problems have caused obvious stains on the façade, outlining the bricks.


6. Specific risks

Inappropriate interventions have affected the building, as noted in the sections above. All are reversible. The interior of the mosque has retained a good deal of its original details. Some minor soundings could be conducted to investigate the connection between the former open portico and the wall. The problem of damp and cracks on the mihrab wall needs investigation, followed by identifying appropriate solutions in line with the principles of built heritage protection.



Applying the Criteria for the adoption of a decision on proclaiming an item of property a national monument (Official Gazette of BiH nos. 33/02 and 15/03), the Commission has enacted the Decision cited above.

The Decision was based on the following criteria:

B.         Historical value

E.         Symbolic value

E.ii.      religious value

E.iii.      traditional value

E.iv.      relation to rituals or ceremonies

E.v.       significance for the identity of a group of people

F.         Townscape/ Landscape value

F.iii.      the building or group of buildings is part of a group or site

G.         Authenticity

G.iii.     use and function

G.v.      location and setting

G.vi.      spirit and feeling

G.vii.     other internal and external factors


The following documents form an integral part of this Decision:

-          Copy of cadastral plan

-          Copy of land register entry and proof of title

-          Photodocumentation – photographs of the building provided by Suljkanović Jakub of Ćojluk

-          Ground plan by architect Emir Softić, 12 April 2007

-          Plan of the mahfil by architect Emir Softić, 12 April 2007

-          Photodocumentation of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, photographs taken on 12 April 2007 by architect Emir Softić



During the procedure to designate the monument as a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina the following works were consulted: 


1904.    Truhelka, Ćiro. Naši gradovi (Our towns). Sarajevo: Naklada Knjižara J. Studnička i drug. 1904


1908.    Bodenstein, Gustav. “Povijest naselja u Posavini 1718-1739” (History of settlements in the Sava valley 1718-1739), Glasnik Zemaljskog muzeja u Sarajevu, XX. Sarajevo: 1908, 95-112


1952.    Kreševljaković, Hamdija. “Prilozi povijesti bosanskih gradova pod turskom upravom,” Prilozi za orijentalnu filologiju i istoriju jugoslovenskih naroda pod turskom vladavinom (Contributions to the history of Bosnian towns under Turkish rule, Contributions to oriental philology and the history of the Yugoslav peoples under Turkish rule), II/1951. Sarajevo: Oriental Institute in Sarajevo, 1952, 119-184.


1953.    Kreševljaković, Hamdija. “Stari bosanski gradovi” (Old Bosnian towns), Naše starine I. Sarajevo: 1953, 7-45


1957.    Basler, Đuro. “Stari grad Srebrnik i problematika njegove konzervacije” (Srebrnik fort and problems of its conservation), Naše starine IV. Sarajevo: 1957, 113-130


1957.    Vego, Marko. Naselja srednjovjekovne bosanske države (Settlements of the mediaeval Bosnian state). Sarajevo: 1957


1978.    Kovačević-Kojić, Desanska. Gradska naselja srednjovjekovne bosanske države (Urban settlements of the mediaeval Bosnian state). Sarajevo: 1978


1982.    Anđelić, Pavao. “O usorskim vojvodama i političkom statusu Usore u srednjem vijeku” (Usora’s vojvodas and the political status of Usora in the middle ages), in Studije o teritorijalno-političkoj organizaciji srednjovjekovne Bosne (Studies of the territorial and political organization of mediaeval Bosnia). Sarajevo: 1982, 142-172


2003.    Nilević, Boris. “Srebrenik u srednjem vijeku na historijskoj sceni” (Srebrenik in history in mediaeval times), Biljeg Srebrnika no. 1. Srebrenik: August 2003, 39-52


2004.    Jalimam, Salih. “Srednjovjekovna historija Srebrenika” (Mediaeval history of Srebrenik), Biljeg Srebrnika no. 2. Srebrenik: 2004, 21-40


2004.    Jalimam, Salih. “Opširni defter zvorničkog sandžaka” (Comprehensive defter of the Zvornik sanjak), Biljeg Srebrnika no. 3. Srebrenik: 2005, 36-79


2007.    Džamija u Ćojluku (the mosque in Ćojluk), unpublished work by Edin Mutapčić MSc., Srebrenik.


(1) The varoš is mentioned in defters of 1604.

(2) Turkish köylük = köy + luk; Persian küy (village) + Turkish suffix lük (-lik); See: Abdulah Škaljić, Turcizmi u srpskohrvatskom jeziku, 6th ed,, Svjetlost, Sarajevo, 1989, 195.[Translator's note: I am unable to find the word “küy” under either خ (transliterated in IPA as /x/), kaf ك or qaf ق (all of which are usually transcribed into Slavic languages, which lack the guttural /x/ and qaf, as “k”). I have re-transcribed the Škaljić entry from my own copy, with umlauts etc.]

(3) “Murad, captain of Gradačac Fort, issued a certificate on the standard transfer and issuance of tapije [Turk. tapu] to the heirs of Rabka daughter of Hasan Pančić of Ćojluk (Srebrenik nahija) to the property which she held in his timar (issued 1228).

Captain Murat states in the document that the land belonging to his timar [feudal holding with military obligations] enjoyed by Rabka, daughter of Husejn [sic] Pančić, who resided in the Ćojluk mahala belonging to the Bey’s Konak in Srebrenika nahija, passes to her sons Husejn, Ibrahim and Sulejman.  They requested that a tapija be issued to them confirming their right to the land, which Captain Murat duly issued, assuring them that other than paying taxes they would enjoy the land without let or hindrance. The document was issued on 25 Safar 1228 (28 February 1813.” Source: Dr. Nedim Zahirović: “Dokumenti o Srebreniku i okolini u Orijentalnoj zbirci Arhiva tuzlanskog kantona,” Biljeg Srebrnika no. 4, Srebrenik, 2006, 81-89, OZ 14-T, 84.

(4) Samostalni vakufi, Štamparija naroda, Sarajevo, 1913, 123.

(5) Glavni rezultati popisa žiteljstva u Bosni i Hercegovini od 22. aprila 1895. godine, Zemaljska štamparija, Sarajevo, 1906.

(6) According to Jakub Suljkanović of Ćojluk, his forebear Mehmedalija Suljkanović (born in the late 19th century) remembered certain details relating to the building. In 1878 the roof cladding, formerly of shingles, was replaced by tiles.  Until 1910 the mosque had an open portico. In 1971 the infill of posts and unfired brick was replaced by fired brick; the works were carried out by Mujo Delić of Špionica. In the 1970s the minaret was clad with galvanized iron; these works were carried out by Sinan Hasić of Špionica (details collected in the field on 16/04/2007 by E. Softić).

(7) The large group of mosques with a front mahfil may be divided into two subgroups, one group with a front mahfil of average or normal depth covering ¼ to 1/3, and the other with a deep mahfil covering 1/3 to 2/3 of the prayer space. A front mahfil of average depth is the norm, creating the typical interior of almost every mosque. Most mosques with wooden minarets have a mahfil of this type, which is to be found in almost every mosque in central and eastern Bosnia, in the mosques of Sarajevo, Fojnica, Tuzla, Jajce, Banja Luka and elsewhere. A deep front mahfil is a rarity in central and eastern Bosnia, featuring only where the mosque needed to accommodate a larger congregation. Two examples clearly illustrate this. The small mosque in the Kušlat Fort (6.8 x 6.5 m) has a mahfil 3.1 m deep, extending over almost half the length of the building to provide a larger area for the garrison to perform their prayers. The other mosque is in the village of Karići near Vareš, also a small building (6.2 x 7 m), but needed the space to accommodate a large congregation for occasional religious rituals. The mahfil, which has no muezzin's tribune, is 3.3. m deep, almost half the depth of the mosque. Deep front mahfils take several forms, with or without a muezzin's tribune. They usually extend over half the mosque, and there are never sofas with railings below them, as this would compromise the main prayer area. Bećirbegović, Madžida, Džamije sa drvenom munarom u Bosni i Hercegovini, Sarajevo: Sarajevo Publishing, 1999, 58-63.

(8) Decorative mouldings always found a place in the portico, on the bases and capitals of the pillars, often on the plinth of the minaret, and sometimes on the šadrvan fountain outside the mosque. Other than the bases, with the usual alternative of torus and trochil, the capitals were the most elaborately decorated feature of the pillars. The most common form of decoration was muqarnas, which dominated the decoration of capitals throughout the 16th century. It varied in execution, consisting of one or more rows, and in some cases, as in Husrev-bey's buildings in Sarajevo or the mosque in Novi Pazar, the muqarnas was shallower, while elsewhere, as in Počitelj, it was deeper and more fully moulded. Another motif used to decorate capitals was the original Turkish frieze of triangles or chevrons, which was also used in the Brusa stylistic group as a transitional structural solution. Chevron capitals are more common in this part of the world in the first half of the 16th century – the Ishak Čelebija Mosque in Bitolje – than in the later decades of the century, when it is found in the Ferhad-bey Vuković-Desisalić Mosque in Sarajevo. Finally, this motif was reduced in size and executed in more planar fashion to create a third type of decorated capital, known as “baklava” ornament, usually combined in this part of the world with finely carved muqarnas capitals, as in the Hajdar-kadija Mosque in Bitolje and the Ferhad Sokolović Mosque in Banja Luka. Andrejević, Andrej, Islamska monumentalna umjetnost XVI vijeka u Jugoslaviji, Kupolne džamije, Filozofski fakultet u Beogradu, Institut za istoriju umjetnosti, studije 6, Beograd 1984, 74, 75. The same type of decoration can be seen on the capitals of the pillars of the portico of the Handanija Mosque in Prusac, built in 1617. “the four short, stumpy pillars of the porch, of which the base, shaft and capital are made of a single piece of stone: the base is hemispherical in shape, while a chevron decoration (Turkish frieze of triangles) features on the capitals.“ Decision of the Commision no. 09-2-17/05-6, Architectural ensemble of the Handanija Mosque (Handan-begova, Hajdar Ćehajina or Čaršija Mosque) in Prusac.

(9) Cultural Heritage without Borders, CHwB, Restauracija Handanija džamije, Izvještaj broj 3/2006, Bemust Sarajevo, 2006, 22.

(10) Double-glazed windows with approx. 12-16 mm of vacuum between the two panes of glass.

(11) Description of the nišan tombstones by calligrapher Hazim Numanagić following a visit to the harem of the Ćojluk Mosque on 20 February 2008

Mosque in ĆojlukEntrance facadeNortheast facade Southeast facade
Interior MimberMahfil (gallery) Mahfil and stairs to the roof
Detail of the gallery Steps towards the minaretConstruction Nišan tombstones

BiH jezici 
Commision to preserve national monuments © 2003. Design & Dev.: