Status of monument -> National monument
Pursuant to Article V para. 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Article 39 para. 1 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, at a session held from 27 June to 2 July 2005 the Commission adopted a
D E C I S I O N
The site and remains of the architectural ensemble of the Dugalića mosque (mosque of hajji Velijjudin Bakrač or Velagina mosque) with the historic building of the clock tower in Nevesinje is hereby designated as a National Monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina (hereinafter: the National Monument).
The National Monument consists of the site and remains of the mosque within the harem wall, the harem wall itself, and the historic building of the clock tower and the building alongside it.
The National Monument is located on a site designated as cadastral plot no. 590 (new survey), corresponding to 791, 792 and 790/1 (old survey), title deed no. 455, cadastral municipality Nevesinje, Municipality Nevesinje, Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The provisions relating to protection and rehabilitation measures set forth by the Law on the Implementation of the Decisions of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of Republika Srpska no. 9/02) shall apply to the National Monument.
The Government of Republika Srpska shall be responsible for ensuring and providing the legal, scientific, technical, administrative and financial measures necessary to protect, conserve, display and rehabilitate the National Monument.
The Government of Republika Srpska shall be responsible for providing the resources needed to draw up and implement the necessary technical documentation for the rehabilitation of the National Monument.
The Commission to Preserve National Monuments (hereinafter: the Commission) shall determine the technical requirements and secure the funds for preparing and setting up signboards with the basic data on the monument and the Decision to proclaim the property a National Monument.
To ensure the on-going protection of the National Monument, the following protection zones are hereby stipulated,
Protection Zone I consists of the area defined in Clause 1 para. e of this Decision. The following protection measures shall apply in this zone:
1. Clock Tower:
- all works are prohibited other than conservation and restoration works, including those designed to display the monument, with the approval of the Ministry responsible for regional planning in Republika Srpska (hereinafter: the relevant ministry) and under the expert supervision of the heritage protection authority of Republika Srpska (hereinafter: the heritage protection authority),
- the extension built on to the south-east entrance façade of the building shall be removed and the entrance portal with wooden door and the entrance façade shall be conserved and restored,
- the wooden staircase in the interior shall be restored,
- the original use of the building shall be restored by restoring all four clocks and the chime to working condition.
2. Building by the clock tower:
- restore the building to its original use as covered entrance to the courtyard (harem) of the Dugalića mosque with a room (čardačić) above the entrance,
- reconstruct the original appearance of the building in line with historical documentation, with the approval of the relevant ministry and under the expert supervision of the heritage protection authority.
3. Dugalića mosque (mosque of hajji Velijjudin Bakrač or Velagina mosque):
- the Dugalića mosque and other buildings constituting the architectural ensemble shall be rehabilitated on its original site, in its original form, with the use of the original or the same type of material and the original building methods wherever possible, on the basis of data on its former appearance, with the approval of the relevant ministry and under the expert supervision of the heritage protection authority
- all original fragments of the demolished building found on the site or on other sites to which they were removed after the demolition of the building must be collected up, registered, recorded and reintegrated into the reconstructed building. Until such time as they are so reintegrated they shall be properly preserved,
- fragments that are too badly damaged to be reintegrated shall be conserved and displayed appropriately within the building.
In order to ensure the conditions for the rehabilitation of the National Monument, the following measures are hereby stipulated:
- the harem of the mosque shall be fenced off,
- rubbish shall be removed and the harem area shall be cleared,
- garbage containers shall be removed from the harem area,
- the remains of the harem wall shall be conserved and restored,
- the surface layers of soil shall be removed in order to uncover the original foundation walls,
- the original parts of the foundations and walls shall be restored and consolidated.
Protection Zone II consists of the area contiguous with that of the National Monument, i.e. plots c.p. 588, 589 and 591.
No alterations in height to the buildings surrounding the National Monument shall be permitted, and the height of new buildings along Marshal Tito and Đukica Grahovac streets (former street names) shall not exceed two storeys (ground floor + 1) with a maximum height to the roof cornice of 6.5 m and maximum dimensions of 10 x 8 m.
All executive and area development planning acts not in accordance with the provisions of this Decision are hereby revoked.
Everyone, and in particular the competent authorities of Republika Srpska, and urban and municipal authorities, shall refrain from any action that might damage the National Monument or jeopardize the preservation and restoration thereof.
The Government of Republika Srpska, the Ministry responsible for regional planning in Republika Srpska and the heritage protection authority of Republika Srpska, and the Municipal Authorities in charge of urban planning and land registry affairs, shall be notified of this Decision in order to carry out the measures stipulated in Articles II – V of this Decision, and the Authorized Municipal Court shall be notified for the purposes of registration in the Land Register.
The elucidation and accompanying documentation form an integral part of this Decision, which may be viewed by interested parties on the premises or by accessing the website of the Commission (http://www.aneks8komisija.com.ba)
Pursuant to Art. V para 4 Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, decisions of the Commission are final.
On the date of adoption of this Decision, the National Monument shall be deleted from the Provisional List of National Monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of BiH no. 33/02, Official Gazette of Republika Srpska no. 79/02, Official Gazette of the Federation of BiH no. 59/02, and Official Gazette of Brčko District BiH no. 4/03), where it featured under serial no 438.
This Decision shall enter into force on the date of its adoption and shall be published in the Official Gazette of BiH.
This Decision has been adopted by the following members of the Commission: Zeynep Ahunbay, Amra Hadžimuhamedović, Dubravko Lovrenović, Ljiljana Ševo and Tina Wik.
30 June 2005
Chair of the Commission
E l u c i d a t i o n
I – INTRODUCTION
Pursuant to Article 2, paragraph 1 of the Law on the Implementation of the Decisions of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments, established pursuant to Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a “National Monument” is an item of public property proclaimed by the Commission to Preserve National Monuments to be a National Monument pursuant to Articles V and VI of Annex 8 of the General Framework Agreement for Peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina and property entered on the Provisional List of National Monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Official Gazette of BiH no. 33/02) until the Commission reaches a final decision on its status, as to which there is no time limit and regardless of whether a petition for the property in question has been submitted or not.
The Commission to Preserve National Monuments issued a decision to add the Clock Tower in Nevesinje to the Provisional List of National Monuments of BiH under serial no. 438.
On 17 March 2003 the Commission to Preserve National Monuments received a petition from the Centre for Islamic Architecture to designate the Hajji Velijjudin Bakrač (Dugalića) mosque as a national monument.
Pursuant to the provisions of the law, the Commission proceeded to carry out the procedure for reaching a final decision to designate the Property as a National Monument, pursuant to Article V of Annex 8 and Article 35 of the Rules of Procedure of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments.
II – PROCEDURE PRIOR TO DECISION
In the procedure preceding the adoption of a final decision to proclaim the property a national monument, the following documentation was inspected:
- Documentation on the location and current owner and user of the property (copy of cadastral plan and copy of land registry entry)
- Data on the current condition and use of the property, including a description and photographs, data of war damage, data on restoration or other works on the property, etc.
- Historical, architectural and other documentary material on the property, as set out in the bibliography forming part of this Decision.
The findings based on the review of the above documentation and the condition of the site are as follows:
1. Details of the property
The site and remains of the architectural ensemble of the Dugalića mosque (mosque of hajji Velijjudin Bakrač or Velagina mosque) with the historic building of the clock tower in Nevesinje are in Dugalića (Pahljevića) mahala, on a site consisting of c.p. no. 590 (new survey, corresponding to c,p. 790/1, 791 and 792 old survey), title deed no. 455, owned by the Islamic Community of Odžak, user of socially owned property, cadastral municipality Nevesinje, Municipality Nevesinje, Republika Srpska, Bosniaand Herzegovina.
The original access to the National Monument was from the south, from Marshal Tito street (former street name), through the building by the clock tower.
Entrance to the clock tower is from the courtyard of the Dugalića mosque, to the south-west.
The main axis of the Dugalića mosque lies north-west/south-east. The entrance is to the north-west. The mihrab wall is to the south-east.
Nevesinje came under Ottoman rule between 1465 and 1466. On his way from Belgrade to Herzegovina in 1774, the Turkish travel chronicler Evliya Çelebi passed through the small town (kasaba) of Nevesinje, noting that it was a kadiluk of three hundred akčas, with seventy villages(1). He also noted that Nevesinje had six mahalas, of which two were Christian. He named and described three mosques, the clock tower, two medresas, a dār ul-hadīs (school for the study of Islamic traditions), a daru'l-kurrā (school for training in the proper manner of Qur'anic recitation), and six primary schools, one imaret (public kitchen), a han (hostel), a hammam and a tekke.
One of the mosques referred to by Evliya Çelebi was the Velagina mosque in the čaršija. According to the inscription on the mosque, which Evliya quotes, it was built in 1515(2).
The mosque was built as the endowment of hajji Velijjudin Bakrač, a prominent and affluence citizen of Nevesinje. Beside it the vakif built a mekteb and medresa. It is not known when the medresa closed down or when it was demolished, but the mekteb continuing working in a separate building by the mosque (the building alongside the clock tower) until 1878(3).To provide for the maintenance of his vakuf, hajji Velijjudin Bakrač endowed real property and cash, but since the vakufnama (deed of endowment) has not survived, it is not known what property this was or how much money he endowed.
The mosque was renovated on several occasions. Major works on the mosque were carried out in about 1880, after insurgents and Montenegrins demolished it in part in August 1875. The renovations were managed by the mutevelija, Mula Hadžo Dugalić, as a result of which the mosque became known, following these renovations, as the Dugalića mosque(4). Certain repairs were carried out on the mosque in 1934 on the initiative of the shari'ah judge in Nevesinje, Derviš effendi Korkuta, as recorded in an inscription above the entrance door.
The last imam of the mosque was Hamid effendi Kolaković.
The mosque was closed down just before World War II. After the war the building was used as a warehouse, initially by UNRA, and then by Napredak company, after which it was allocated to Hit company of Mostar to use.
In 1990 representatives of the Islamic Community began clearing the courtyard area and mosque in order to renovate it and restore it to use as a religious building.
According to Hamdija Kreševljaković, the first clock towers in the Ottoman Empire were built in the second half of the 16th century; the idea of a clock tower was adoptetd by the Turks from Central Europe. According to a 16th century French travel chronicler, the first clock tower in the empire was built in Skoplje, Macedonia, between 1566 and 1572, and the clock was brought from occupied Sige.
Clock towers first made an appearance in Bosnia and Herzegovina in the late 16th century. It is believed that the first was in Banja Luka, endowed by Ferhad-pasha Sokolović. In the 17th and 18th centuries clock towers were erected in other parts of BiH, usually in the centre of the town čaršija, but some were built in the baileys of fortresses (Maglaj, Prusac)(5).
The clock tower in Nevesinje is one of 19 surviving clock towers identified and described by Kreševljaković as a result of his research. The clock tower stands in the very centre of Nevesinje by the harem (courtyard) of the Dugalića mosque (mosque of hajji Velijjudin Bakrač or Velagina mosque). The assumption is that the clock tower was built at roughly the same time as the mosque, and in any event prior to 1664. It is not known who endowed it, but it was probably built by one of Nevesinje’s vakifs (legators)(6).
According to Hamdija Kreševljaković, until 1891 the clock on the clock tower had no face. That year a new clock was procured with three clock-faces, of which the one to the south-east had Turkish numerals, the north-east face Roman numerals, and the south-west face Arabic numerals, which are still there(7).The clock tower stopped working in 1937. In the 1970s new plastic clock-faces with Arabic numerals and a new clock were installed on the clock tower.
2. Description of the property
The architectural ensemble of the Dugalića mosque stands at the very centre of Nevesinje, surrounded by a stone harem wall with no window openings, about 1.50 m in height.
The entrance to the architectural ensemble was originally from the north-west from Marshal Tito street (former street name), through a covered passageway over which was a room – a čardak. The passageway led into the harem (courtyard) and thence to the clock tower and mosque. After World War II – to be exact, in 1948 – the ground floor of the building through which the harem was entered was confiscated from the mosque vakuf. The entrance facade of the passage was closed off, creating ground floor business premises which were allocated to the Oslobođenje company(8).
A new entrance to the building was made as soon as the original one was closed off. A large entrance gate was placed to the south-west of the mosque harem, from the pedestrian street running between the Orthodox church and the mosque, from Marshal Tito stree to Đukica Grahovac street. To provide for the Hit company of Mostar, which had in the meantime been allocated the mosque building, yet another entrance to the mosque harem was made from the south-east, from Đukica Grahovac street. This entrance was made wide enough for motor vehicles to enter the mosque harem. It was then that a garage was built by the north-east mosque wall and that the portico was enclosed to provide premises for Hit company.
The mekteb was housed above the original covered entrance to the mosque harem, in the čardačić, which was reached by a stairway from the harem of the mosque. After World War II the mekteb was used as living premises by a certain Mrs Milica. After her death in the late 1980s, the board of the Dugalića mosque was let to the painter Avdija Ćorić to use as a gallery.
Clock tower and building alongside it
Clock towers are as a rule tall, slender buildings with a clock, square or rarely octagonal in ground plan, stone-built, and with a pyramidal roof. They are usually built close to a mosque; exceptionally, there may be two in the same city (Travnik and Sarajevo)(9).
The clock tower in Nevesinje, like most others, was built at the very centre of the old čaršija, of which it is an integral part and central feature identifying this part of the town.
The influence of Italian campaniles and Dubrovnik clock towers is plain to see on the Nevesinje clock tower(10).This influence of late Romanesque towers is to be seen in the square ground plan and circular apertures for the clock faces, and in the decoration of the roof cornice.
The clock tower in Nevesinje is a single-space building of roughly square ground plan, with a hipped roof.
The exterior dimensions of the building are 3.25 x 3.45 m. The height of the clock tower from street level to the top of the roof is about 16.50 m.
The clock tower is prismatic in shape, and built of regular ashlar stone blocks. The walls are of an average thickness of 80 cm. The structure of the walls is left visible both inside and out. The stone blocks are joined by lime mortar.
In order to provide a level base on the uneven ground, the building stands on a base (two stone steps) 70 cm in height. This base is visible from the north-west and south-west of the building.
There is a stone string course at a height of about 13.0 m, which projects outwards from the wall face by 6.0 cm. Below this string course are circular apertures, one on each side, to house the clocks. Above the string course, again on all four sides of the building, are windows with stone frames terminating in horseshoe arches. The area below the roof cornice is decorated with consoles.
The space beneath the roof of the building houses the bell.
The clock tower has a hipped roof clad with sheet metal.
The entrance to the courtyard of the clock tower is now from the pedestrian street to the south-west, while the entrance to the building itself is from the south-east. The entrance is topped by a simple segmental arch. Inside the building is a steep, narrow wooden staircase about 60 cm wide. Two narrow windows in the south-east facade, widening towads the interior, allow light into the interior of the building(11).
By the north-east facade of the clock tower is a single-storey building through which the harem of the architectural ensemble was originally entered. The entrance in the ground floor of the building took the form of a wide covered passageway, above which was a small čardak reached by an outside stairway from the harem.
When the original entrance to the mosque was closed off in 1948 a new one was made to the south-west. The resulting interventions closed off the stairway to the čardačić, which concealed the entrance to the clock tower(12). One of the windows in the south-east facade of the clock tower was walled up, and the proportions of the clock tower were altered.
Dugalića mosque (mosque of hajji Velijjudin Bakrač or Velagina mosque) (13)
In layout, the Dugalića mosque in Nevesinje belongs to the single-space type of mosque with open portico and stone minaret. It has a hipped roof.
The exterior dimensions of the building are approx. 16.0 x 12.0 m (including the portico; the sides of the mosque are about 12.0 long).
The building is made of regular ashlar stone blocks, plastered and painted inside and left visible on the outside.
The interior space is enclosed by four walls that bear the load of the hipped roof.
The wooden portico of the mosque has a three-pitched roof.
The hipped roof of the mosque, like that of the portico, was probably once clad with lead(14), and later with stone slabs; it is now tile-clad.
The transition from the octagonal base to the twelve-sided body of the minaret is conical in form. The body of the minaret is not of the usual slightly tapering form, since it is relatively short(15). The total height of the minaret is about 12 m.
The minaret is stone-built and abuts(16) onto the mosque. It has a pyramidal roof clad with sheet metal. The minaret is plastered and decorated with moulded stone in the form of a simple string course accentuating the point at which the diameter alters.
The minaret originally had a šerefe. Following renovations in about 1880, the minaret was left rather shorter and without a šerefe. Instead, twelve round-arched window apertures were made below the roof.
The windows on the facade of the building are set in two horizontal rows. The first horizontal row has two rectangular windows on each facade, framed on the outside with simple stone frames and fitted with wrought iron bars. The windows of the second horizontal row are set directly above those of the first row, and are round-arched. The arches are accentuated on the outside by being inset from the wall face.
The exterior sofas of the mosque, which measure 12.0 x 4.0 m, have a three-pitched roof. The roof structure is supported by wooden pillars.
The tarih (chronogram) on the construction of the mosque is insiced on a 30 x 50 cm stone plaque over the entrance to the mosque. According to Mehmed Mujezinović, the inscription is in Turkish, and reads: «When the benefactor Veli-aga/erected this mosque, O Zahid,/ those who heard resolved to compose a chronostich./ This high temple [makam] is a gift to God.» (17)
According to Hivzija Hasandedić, this inscription suggests that the Dugalića mosque is the second oldest in Herzegovina, after the Careva (Sultan Bayezit Vela) mosque in Nevesinje.(18)
The interior of the main prayer space of the mosque is a regular cube.
All the inside walls of the mosque are plastered and painted with foliar designs (pomegranate trees and grape vines). The colours used are terracotta, sky blue, green and black(19).
Inside the building, by the north-west entrance wall, is a wooden mahfil, the position of which means that the Dugalića mosqeue has a front mahfil. It is very deep, extending over 2/3 of the prayer space. The mahfil railing and load-bearing structure are decorated with wood carvings.
The mihrab is plastered and painted(20).
Burial ground by the Dugalića mosque
During his visit to the mosque in the 1970s, Mehmed Mujezinović found no nišan tombstones in the harem of the mosque.
During his study of the mosque, Hivzija Hasandedić wrote that there had formerly been some fine nišan tombstones with epitaphs in the harem of the mosque, of which only two without epitaphs remained at the time of his visit(21).
Adem effendi Omerika says that there were a number of broken nišan tombstones and a number of graves in the harem.
3. Legal status to date
By Ruling of the National Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments and Natural Rarities no. 119/50 dated 25 January 1950 the clock tower in Nevesinje was placed under state protection.
By Ruling of the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of NR BiH dated 18 April 1962 no. 02-680-3 the clock tower in Nevesinje was entered in the Register of immovable cultural monuments.
The Regional Plan for Bosnia and Herzegovina to 2002 listed the clock tower in Nevesinje under serial no. 5 as a Category I building.
The clock tower in Nevesinje is on the Provisional List of National Monuments of the Commission to Preserve National Monuments under serial no. 438.
4. Research and conservation and restoration works
No research or conservation and restoration works have been carried out on the building. The only works carried out under the supervision of the heritage protection authority were those involving the installation of a new clock and plastic clock faces with Arabic numerals, in the 1970s.
In July 1970 the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of BiH, Architectural Studio Sarajevo, surveyed the current condition of the building.
The extension works by the south-east entrance facade of the clock tower were not carried out under the supervision of the heritage protection authority. This extension altered the appearance and proportions of the clock tower.
Building by the clock tower
No research or conservation and restoration works have been carried out on the building under the supervision of the heritage protection authority.
In 1948 the appearance of the building was radically altered when the covered passageway was walled up and turned into business premises.
Dugalića mosque (mosque of hajji Velijjudin Bakrač or Velagina mosque)
No research or conservation and restoration works have been carried out on the building under the supervision of the heritage protection authority.
Over the years the mosque has twice been renovated. The first renovations, carried out in about 1880, were extensive. On that occasion the minaret was reduced in height and the šerefe was not renovated(22).The renovations were managed by the mutevelija of the mosque. The second renovations were carried out in 1934. It is not known how extensive these works on the mosque were.
After World War II the mosque underwent a degree of conversion to use as a warehouse. The changes were:
- two new entrances to the harem were made (in the south-west and south-east facades of the harem wall)
- the portico was enclosed
- the lower row of windows were walled up on the inside
- a garage was built against the north-east mosque wall.
5. Current condition of the property
Structurally, the clock tower is in relatively good condition. Lack of maintenance, however, has resulted in:
- damage to the interior wooden staircase
- none of the four clocks are in working condition.
Building by the clock tower
Structurally, the building by the clock tower is in good condition.
Dugalića mosque (mosque of hajji Velijjudin Bakrač or Velagina mosque)
The Dugalića mosque and mekteb were dynamited and completely destroyed in 1992. All the fragments were removed from the site. All that remained of the architectural ensemble of the mosque was a small section of the south-west harem wall by the clock tower.
The mosque area is now derelict. The harem is used as a parking space, and garbage containers have been placed around the edge. Parts of the harem (the north-western part of the plot) are used to stack wood and other materials.
6. Specific risks
- possible changes to the townscape of the architectural ensemble
- lack of maintenance and inappropriate use of the buildings constituting the architectural ensemble.
III – CONCLUSION
Applying the Criteria for the adoption of a decision on proclaiming an item of property a national monument (Official Gazette of BiH nos. 33/02 and 15/03), the Commission has enacted the Decision cited above.
The Decision was based on the following criteria:
A. Time frame
B. Historical value
C. Artistic and aesthetic value
D. iv. evidence of a particular type, style or regional manner
E. Symbolic value
E.ii. religious value
E.iii. traditional value
E.iv. relation to rituals or ceremonies
F. Townscape/ Landscape value
F.ii. meaning in the townscape
G. Authenticity (Clock Tower)
G.i. form and design
G.ii. material and content
H. Rarity and representativity
H.i. unique or rare example of a certain type or style
The following documents form an integral part of this Decision:
o Copy of cadastral plan and proof of title no.455
o Photodocumentation (photographs of the building in the 1970s and of the building at the time the Commission issued a final decision on the property in June 2005)
o Drawings (blueprint of clock tower drawn by Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments of BiH in1970, photographed)
During the procedure to designate the site and remains of the architectural ensemble of the Dugalić mosque (mosque of hajji Velijjudin Bakrač or Velagina mosque) as a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina the following works were consulted
1957 Kreševljaković, Hamdija, Sahat-kule u Bosni i Hercegovini, (Clock Towers in BiH) Naše starine IV, Sarajevo, 1957.
1990 Hasandedić, Hivzija, Muslimanska baština u istočnoj Hercegovini,(Muslim Heritage in eastern Herzegovina) El Kalem, Sarajevo, 1990.
1994 Amir Pašić, Islamic architecture in Bosnia and Hercegovina, Istanbul, 1994.
1996 Çelebi, Evliya, Putopis, (Travelogue) Sarajevo Publishing, Sarajevo, 1996.
1998 Mujezinović, Mehmed, Islamska epigrafika Bosne i Hercegovine, (Islamic epigraphs of BiH) vol III, 3rd ed., Cultural Heritage Series, Sarajevo Publishing, 1998.
Documentation of the Institute for the Protection of Monuments of the Federation Ministry of Culture and Sport, Sarajevo
Statements and documentation of Adem effendi Omerik, imam of the mosque from 1975 to 1992
(1) “The earliest referenced to the Nevesinje kadiluk dates from 1467. At the end of 1567 the Gabela ferry belonged to it, as did the kasaba of Sopot in 1582 – this is now a village 12 km to the east of Nevesinje, which could therefore have had 70 vilages But it could not possibly have been a kadiluk of three hundred akči, but only of a hundred and fifty.“, note by Hazim Šabanović, translator of «Evlija Čelebi, Putopis», p. 414.
(2) The inscription is reported by Mujezinović, following Evliya's text, given that the inscription on the plaque is illegible, Mujezinović, Islamska baština u BiH, p. 346
(3) Hivzija Hasandedić, Muslimanska baština u istočnoj Hercegovini, p. 137.
(4) Porodica Dugalić je bila ugledna i bogata nevesinjska porodica koja je imala svoje kuće i posjede oko ove džamije. Dugalići su se više decenija brinuli o održavanju džamije.
(5) Hamdija Kreševljaković, Sahat-kule u BiH, p. 31.
(6) Hivzija Hasandedić, Muslimanska baština u istočnoj Hercegovini, p. 139.
(7) Hamdija Kreševljaković, Sahat-kule u BiH, p. 31.
(8) After the ground floor of the building owned by the vakuf was expropriated, representatives of the Islamic Community filed a suit. Since Oslobođenje failed to pay rent for the business premises, they were restored to the vakuf. Source: Adem Omerika.
(9) Hamdija Kreševljaković, Sahat-kule u BiH, str. 31.
(10) In his Islamic architecture in BiH, Amir Pašić explains the influence of Italian campaniles and of Dubrovnik architecture on the architecture of clock towers in Herzegovina.
(11) The lower opening was later walled up.
(12) The closing off of the staircase and reorganization of the entrance to the čardačić (with the original single-flight staircase replaced by an L-shaped one) was probably done in the late 1970s. The reason for this dating is that these interventions are not shown on the survey of the existing survey of the building in July 1970 carried out by the Institute for the Protectioin of Cultural Monuments of BiH.
(13) The description of the Dugalića mosque is based on historical details from books and information acquired in conversation of people who were concerned with the mosque building, mainly the seretary of the Mostar mufti, Adem effendi Omerika.
(14) According to Hivzija Hasandedić the mosque building was originally clad with lead (Hivzija Hasandedić, Muslimanska baština u istočnoj Hercegovini, p. 135.) Adem effendi Omerika explains Hasandedić's claim concerning the roof cladding by the fact that the Careva (Emperor's) mosque in Nevesinje was also originally clad weith lead. After the great fire in the late 17th century in which the Careva mosque was burned down, the lead roof cladding melted. The Careva mosque was then clad with stone slabs. According to the effendi, during works on the clearing of the building, some lead was found on the walls of the Dugalića džamije, leading to the assumption that the original roof cladding was lead. It is not known when this was replaced.
(15) Following renovation in 1880 the minaret was left shorter than before.
(16) Hivzija Hasandedić, Muslimanska baština u istočnoj Hercegovini, p. 135.
(17) Mujezinović, Islamska baština u BiH, p. 347 (The plaque with its inscription was broken off at some time and subsequently clumsily restored and fixed with cement mortar. Since all that remained legible were a few words, Mujezinović relied on the text given by Evliya Çelebi).
(18) The Careva mosque was built during the reign of Sultan Bayezit II (1481-1512), Hivzija Hasandedić, Muslimanska baština u istočnoj Hercegovini, P. 131.
(19) Details of the painting of the mosque provided by Adem effendi Omerika, who stated that the colours and designs of the decorations were similar to those used in the Karađozbeg mosque in Mostar. In 1990, when work began on the renovation of the mosque, the painted decorations were in very poor condition, much worse than in 1964, when he saw them for the first time.
(20) According to Adem effendi Omerika, in 1990traces of red paint were found on the stone at the base of the mihrab.
(21) It is not known when Hivzija Hasandedić visited the Dugalića mosque. His book was published in 1990.
(22) The manner of the intervention suggests that the minaret was destroyed to below the šerefe and perhaps even to the base, since Hasandedić notes that on that occasion the minaret was partly built up:Hivzija Hasandedić, Muslimanska baština u istočnoj Hercegovini, p. 136.